affordable 430 pistons

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
nasty55ford
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: 554/564 lift 292/320 duration voodoo cam in my 430

affordable 430 pistons

Post by nasty55ford » Fri 10. Feb 2012, 19:34

i have a old friend that makes pistons that i completly forgot abought he owns badger pistons i had them in my 460 that ran low nines and never had a problem with them im sending him mel info and a piston he said he had one he used to make those but somehow his mold was lost he says he can do any bore any compression he has been slower lately and down to making vintage tractor pistons and such becuace of the chinese but ive used them and they worked for me he say abought 325 bucks a set plus shipping call badger pistons ask for rob

nasty55ford
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: 554/564 lift 292/320 duration voodoo cam in my 430

Re: affordable 430 pistons

Post by nasty55ford » Tue 14. Feb 2012, 09:37

just talked to my friend at badger pistons today he told me 35 bucks a piston or 285 a set plus shipping any bore any compression he found his molds and casting he has 1958-60 1961-63-1963-68 styles if nessacery i thought that was a damn good deal some of us out here are on a budjet now days and dont belong to the gold card club there are several different companys in america still that make thease pistons i have seen for years how every one is kinda steered towards the high dollor wiesco pistons wasnt there a guy that worked there that was in tight with the mel crowd sounds kinda of fishy to me . you know venolia pistons are some very good and expensive pistons too they also make them they are only 81.00 a piece with the rings whats up with that share some of that wiesco kick back money with all of us in mel land and while im on the subject abought price gouching you dont have to spend 2500 min to rebuild your mel i am living proof all you have to do is stay away from people misguiding people to spend money and do a little research i built my 430 including new 12.1 pistons rings bearings preciscion oil pump machine work redesighn oil system main girdies noisy timing gear isky roller cam rev kit bb chevy valves springs tunnel ram harbor frieght port and polish kit offen houser tunnel ram made to fit my 430 mopar 440 fenderwell headers modifyed with 2 holley 660 center squirters comp roller lifters the good ones on cl 100 bucks nib mopar 1,75 roller rockers modifyed everything has only set me back just over 1,400 bucks but i did have to make my own oil pan and other things so why cant some rebuild a stock one for for under 700 bucks like i said somthing sound fishy

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Tue 14. Feb 2012, 11:02

Good info. I'll be sure to look into this for my next restoration! With the Colony Park being done in a month or so, the Parklane is getting ready to make its trip to the restoration shop.

nasty55ford
Airman
Airman

Post by nasty55ford » Tue 14. Feb 2012, 15:42

just let me know when your ready ill tell you were to get everything (quality american made stuff) well most of it i used king bearings think they are made in isreial or somewere in the middle east had them in my 460 turned it to 8 gs never spun one

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Tue 14. Feb 2012, 15:45

Excellent! Thanks

nasty55ford
Airman
Airman

Post by nasty55ford » Tue 14. Feb 2012, 20:51

stay away from the cams or be careful they sell on ebay i think its canter and the falcon global i was talking to him a while back he gave me the name of the guy that ground their cams i spoke with him cant remember his name though somewere in virginia he told me that kanter bought those in one huge run of blanks done in india a the grade of steel wasnt that good that they had a tendensy to break under seviere driving conditions he just ground them for kanter i know were to get original cam blanks nos turn into any cam size for three hunderd and some change a little cheaper than the india ones on ebay he can also regrind for 110 bucks

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 16. Feb 2012, 02:26

Sounds good to me. Also consider Silv-o-lite Piston Co http://www.kb-silvolite.com/silv-o-lite/index.html
They are in business for a long time and have been orig. manufacturer for many major brands in the industry. Their prizes seem to bee on the ground of the earth too. In my experience it is s. t. better to contact these kind of manufacturers rather than the boutique manufacturers. With a reasonable amount of sets one could possibly talk them into producing a limited run of MEL Pistons. you need to contact someone who understands your needs and is willing and enthusiastic enough to organize things on his side. It takes human relationship to make things possible if your item is not listed in a catalog.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

petemonster
Airman basic

Post by petemonster » Mon 27. Feb 2012, 15:37

Say I would be interested in the rebuild parts for $700.Badgers are decent pistons and I have used them for years.

nasty55ford
Airman
Airman

Post by nasty55ford » Mon 27. Feb 2012, 21:25

here is one of my connections i stummbled on to them
Rafael Rodriguez
Perfect Engine, Inc.
2721 S. San Pedro Street
Los Angeles, CA 90011
Tel: 323-231-5161 Toll Free: 888-716-6867
Fax: 323-231-0528
http://www.PerfectEngine.com i got king berrings that were nice and hastings rings for just under 225 and if your not going super high compression like i was rockauto.com is the cheapest on gaskets they have felpro head gaskets for like 23 bucks a piece timing gears chains ect but all they have for bearings is cleavits i think and they are pricey for the mels this other company got me king they are good bearings i got a set of the real thin metal head gaskets for 75 off ebay they work good for high comp but if you have any overheating problems they will blow real easy just like the fe fords i got the rest of the gaskets from rock auto.com the whole set minus the head gaskets were just over 70 bucks now other stuff is kinda easy to make work also like for instance im running a isky 505 c 58-magnum nos roller cam when isky disighned this cam he didnt do it just for the mel mainly for the hemi but in order for isky to make it work on a mel he had to modify the adjustable rockers becuase ford had 1.76 for the fe but that brings it up over a 600 lift cam that would throw everything out of wack and the cam would not work right not to mention it would tear the rocker arm assembly to hell so he made 1.5 adjustables and a rev kit to keep the roller lifters from bouncing around now days finding that stuff is kinda hard even for a price especialy after that gizzle hopper guy and a couple of others were buying everything they could find so in order to make stuff work on a workin mans budjet i had to make other stuff work and littarly make other stuff i used a rocker arm bar comp cam from a big block chevy drilled and tapped it out for my size i needed and i used an crane cam screw in adjustable rocke arm stud kit for a 302 ford the i used mopar 440 1.5 roller rockers and chevy 409 valve springs a 460 ford noisy timing gear set up will work on a mel you just have to grind the nipples on the idle gear flat against the idle gear and notch out the the ledge on the back of the timing cover that catches the oil just like you would do a small block used the new style roller lifters from an fe i bought off craigslist new for a hundred bucks and went on ebay and bought one of those nice gold fake mildon 7 quart oil pans for fifty bucks for a ford 302 and took my mesurments and cut them the both apart and welded it back together at the top of the sump and ground down welds smooth sanded the gold anodized on the new pan painted gloss black and put a mildon sticker on it and yes the pick up off of a 302 will fit an mel/fe oil pump so will a small block chevy/ford fuel pump block off plate i also used now if anybodys out here mel land is using a roller cam and wants to save money on lifters the roller lifters from a 2004-2012 cat diesel from a pick up truck will fit a mell you can find them anywere for a resonable price and also ford 1993 -95 f150 and mustang 5.0 factory rolller lifters will also work ajustable or regular pushrods from a chevy or ford straight six will also work i made runner adapters for my intake cost me 28 bucks at the welding steel shop and they drilled them out for free and i used a 351 cleavland cobrajet tunnel ram it is a offy and the bottom were cut out got it of craigs list valley pan is total accesable also a new fuel injected 460 intake will also work with minor adjustments and also how come no one ever mentions cris neelson cams from utah he has every thing good prices always( wiesco) howards aluminum rods and cam out of la california used to make all the goodies for the mel talked to the owner said he found all his dads (the original howards cams ) notes and stuff the make mel goodie once again

petemonster
Airman basic

Post by petemonster » Tue 28. Feb 2012, 03:00

So the standard 460 timing set will work with a stock rebuild then.And the lifters are from the 3208 CAT?

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”