My 62 Lincoln Continental

Discussion about Lincoln
Car restoration projects. This is not an all out engine section. Discuss whatever is of concern to your MEL car restoration project.
Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My 62 Lincoln Continental

Post by Theo » Tue 31. May 2011, 23:51

Maybe you should give the master cylinder and the power brake booster a close look. I had a problem w. those after parking the car for a couple of years. The master cylinder started to leak into the brake booster where the acid started to destroy the diaphragm.
Good to see your MEL running. But say, am I right hearing a lifter noise?
Best regards
Theo
Admin

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: Keys, Saxophone, Clarinet, Drums, Bass

Post by NicSanford » Wed 1. Jun 2011, 12:47

Theo wrote:But say, am I right hearing a lifter noise?
Is there any quick and easy way to reduce the noise without getting into the motor for now?

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Wed 1. Jun 2011, 23:24

So I pulled the carb today to see if I could find the source of the leak, and to my suprise, I found that the carb has been rebuilt before. As you might be able to tell from the pics, the gasket shown is not correct, although the fit is very similar. I guess it does the trick.

I also found that the lever on the float that pushes the fuel pin shut was bent back and too far from the pin when the float was at the top of the bowl. I bent it back so it pushes the pin shut when the float is at the top, and will try tomorrow to see if the leak has been sealed.

While I was pulling the carb apart, a piece which I can't identify fell from the inside, and doesn't really look like it belongs. Perhaps somebody could help me identify this piece. the best way I can describe it is that it looks like the silver piece on the top of a ligher where the flame comes out, only bigger... Any help in identifying this piece on a Carter ABD 2bbl is appreciated.
DSCN0430.JPG
Pulled Carb...
DSCN0427.JPG
Float Down...
DSCN0428.JPG
Float Up...
2011-06-01 22-58-13.645.jpg
Unidentified Piece...
DSCN0422.JPG
Wrong Gasket...

keithol
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: I wish I could play guitar

Post by keithol » Thu 2. Jun 2011, 18:07

The part in question is the hold down for the float hinge pin, it slides in from the top in grooves on both sides . It also acts as a baffle for fuel spray as the needle valve opens. Without it the pivot pin would just slide upward and not apply pressure to the needle valve. Varnish from old gasoline may have stuck it to the fuel bowl cover or the gasket while you were disassembling the carb and pulled it out of place and dropped it in because otherwise it would have flooded like a geyser. As far as the gasket goes , it is badly shrunken and probably fit very well when it was installed.What you really need is a good cleaning and a carb kit . Good luck !

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Fri 3. Jun 2011, 00:07

Thank you keithol! After tinkering with it for a while last night, that's the exact place I ended up putting it, although I wasn't certain.

When I installed the carb again today, I was happy to find the leak was fixed, but apparently I bent the lever on the float a bit too much, and gas wasn't filling the float bowl fast enough to keep the engine going. I unscrewed the hose from the fuel pump to the carb, and with a small screw driver, pushed the lever back some. When I reconnected it and gave her a start, I discovered the same problem I had before. Fuel was coming up under the lever on top of the carb, as it was before, but the engine was idling well.

Seems like there's either too much pressure from the pump, or the pin isn't sealing the inflow all the way. Any thoughts on how I can repair this? I imagine it'll have to be a perfect position of the lever that's connected to the float to push the pin back far enough to seal the inflow.

Either way, we just ordered a Carter ABD carburetor rebuild kit from http://www.carburetion.com, and it should be here in 3 to 7 days. I've never rebuilt a carb, but from what I saw lastnight, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Be prepared for more questions from a newb.

Thanks again!

keithol
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: I wish I could play guitar

Post by keithol » Fri 3. Jun 2011, 07:11

The kit you ordered will come with instructions , just pay close attention to them and you will be fine . The kit will include a new needle & seat assembly , and together with exacting instructions on adjusting the float level , your problems will be solved.

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Mon 6. Jun 2011, 13:54

Okay, so I called Carbs Unlimited today to see where my email confirmation was with the tracking number, and to my suprise, they told me that they are waiting for a shipment of rebuild kits from their supplier to ship to me. When I initially made the purchase, their online system said they had one in stock, and that it would ship within 24 - 48 hours.

Make a long story short, the guy I spoke with, Bob, was very rude, hung up on me, and didn't do anything to ensure that my part would be shipped this week. Does anybody know of a place I can get a Carter ABD rebuild kit, and cancel my order with Carbs Unlimited? I can't wait over a week to rebuild this carb...

Thanks in advance...

Nic

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Mon 6. Jun 2011, 16:47

So Carbs Unlimited, where I ordered my rebuild kit showed they had 1 in stock when I made my order online. Turns out there was a problem with their system, and it won't be shipped until next week, "maybe," according to them.

In the meantime, I'm having a hell of a time trying to bleed these breaks. I made one of these do it yourself pressure cannisters, and can't get anything, air or brake fluid to come out. Need a 2nd person to help me...

Stay Tuned!

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Mon 6. Jun 2011, 16:48

Oh and by the way, if you can help it, I wouldn't order from Carbs Unlimited. The guy, "Bob," who I spoke to over the phone was very rude when answering my questions, and eventually hung up on me because I was curious to know how long it would take. If I can find another place that sells a rebuild kit, I'll be canceling my order with Carbs Unlimited.

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Mon 6. Jun 2011, 20:10

Sorry to read about your troubles. Perhaps Jegs, or Mac's antique auto might have them.

Return to “Lincoln Cars Restoration Projects”