Building a 1960 Mercury Park Lane convertible

Discussion about Mercury Car restoration projects. This is not an all out engine section. Discuss whatever is of concern to your MEL car restoration project.
mercs4fun
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: Piano, Hammond B3 Organ, Synthesizers, guitars, bass, accordion.

Re: Building a 1960 Mercury Park Lane convertible

Post by mercs4fun » Sun 9. Dec 2018, 03:27

Small pieces comes together.... Headlight brackets and holders were taken totally aparts, painted, stainless were polished and screws and small parts restored before it all went back together with brand new lamps.
headlightbuckets1.jpg
headlightbuckets2.jpg
headlightbuckets3.jpg
headlightbuckets4.jpg
Mercury - Built to lead - Built to last

mercs4fun
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: Piano, Hammond B3 Organ, Synthesizers, guitars, bass, accordion.

Post by mercs4fun » Sun 9. Dec 2018, 03:53

Finally it was time to get the continental kit and rear bumper installed on the car. This has been a real challenge, and I think that if I knew how much time and money it would take to realize it I would probably not have done it. I have made two of these and the one for my car was the forst one, so I practiccally made it twice because I had to re design it and modify so many things after I made the second one and got the experience from that. Here is a picture from the last test fit on the car and where I finally decided it was good enough.
oktober19_2.jpg
Back on the car after paint.
paintedbrackets.jpg
Bumper back on and testing mechanism.
desember8_1.jpg
I really love the look of this continental kit. Now the only thing left to do is to paint the plates between the bumper and the tire.
desember8_2.jpg
Mercury - Built to lead - Built to last

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris430 » Tue 11. Dec 2018, 07:30

A lot of detail here. When I start the 65 I am thinking of just having the cab dipped. Like your 58/60 lots of unpainted pockets and places to gather dirt and moisture. Thanks for posting the detailed references.

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 12. Dec 2018, 13:45

Nice to see your post! I really like that Continental Kit, and you are so lucky to find those rear antennas. I've looked for years also.....

And thanks for the complement on the Chris Craft. One down, one to go!

Chris S.
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: Trumpet

Post by Chris S. » Sun 28. Apr 2019, 13:21

Good afternoon,
I really do appreciate the great detail that you have put into this thread and am very excited to see the finished product. My family owns a 1960 parklane convertible as well and we are always on the hunt for spare parts and such. The car was my grandfathers, he purchased it back in the early 1970's and it has since been passed down. Many years ago my grandfather had purchased a set of the spinner hubcaps you had mentioned in this thread. my grandfather never ended up putting them on his parklane and rather instead kept them in his garage. Unfortunately, his garage was broken into and those hubcaps had gone missing. Those hubcaps would be a great edition to our car up here and I was curious if you knew the whereabouts of another complete set? I would greatly appreciate it if you did. I've attached a few photos of our car for you to look at as well. I wish you good luck in the rest of your Restoration and am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you and have a great rest of your day.

Chris S.
Attachments
1960 Mercury farm.jpg
60 merc farm pics.jpg

heyleon04
Airman basic

Post by heyleon04 » Tue 9. Jul 2019, 01:54

Wow! The restoration turned out well. It's lovely!

Return to “Mercury Cars Restoration Projects”