Secondary Block Theromostats: 1963 Lincoln 430

kultdouble
Editorial Group
Editorial Group

Secondary Block Theromostats: 1963 Lincoln 430

Post by kultdouble » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 13:09

Note: Complete or part of old conversation copied from the archives and brought back to you by admin. New replies can be added if desired.

Originally postet by "Roland "

The 430 in my '63 Lincoln had a 3 level thermostat system which included a small thermostat in each cylinder bank which opened only after the engine was partially warmed.
When I rebuilt the engine I left these out as I was unaware of any replacement source and didn't want to take a chance on overheating.
Is there a source for these and has anyone encountered a similar situation?
Thanks

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Secondary Block Theromostats: 1963 Lincoln 430

Post by KULTULZ » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 13:13

tbird1959engine430v8feature.jpg
MEL Lower Block Thermostat
In-Block Combustion Chamber uses aluminized oversize valves with zero- lash hydraulic lifters; gives longer valve life, better intake and exhaust action, and smooth even combustion.

3-Stage Cooling circulates coolant in three stages: (1) to intake manifold and cylinder heads; (2) to block; and (3) to radiator. Provides fast starting warm-up and progressive temperature control utilizing three thermostats.

Fuel System Advances feature exclusive preheated carburetor air system and water-jacketed intake manifold to keep the fuel-air mixture at proper temperature for maximum combustion efficiency.

Broken link to photo (Kultulz can you edit?)

This is a set that I found on e-bay a while back. I have not come across a vendor that services them. The members at the LCOC Board leave them out regularly and I have heard no adverse comments. The diverter(s) is more important as it directs coolant to the heads and intake and that coolant heat is needed for the carb pad warm up as there is no heat riser provision engineered into the MEL engine.

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 13:15

Block Thermostats Update

65/72 LINC-MERC MPC

The use of the block thermostats was discontinued in the 1963 model year. The notation is under PN C3VY 6009-B (cylinder assembly).

They are no longer available for service and the particpants at the LCOC Board have not noticed any changes in performance or operation without them. The diverters are still necessary though.

The block thermostat is assembled in reverse from a normal thermostat in that the temp sensing bulb is on the opposite side of the opening/closing spring.

60/78MarkVConverts
Airman basic

Post by 60/78MarkVConverts » Sat 1. Feb 2014, 03:20

Most of the design requirements were driven by putting advanced in the Lincoln/Continental automobiles. The 2 in block thermostats, with a cold engine hold the coolant in the heads, they warm up faster, and this coolant then reaches heater core much faster for interior comfort. Secondly, rapid coolant warmup brings the carburetor up to efficient operating more quickly, for better gas mileage. Gas mileage became so important that from 1960 to 1962 the only engine available had a 2-barrel carburetor. This can only be described as a near-disaster. The first thing I have done after purchasing any 60 Continental is put a 1958, 59 or 65 4-barrel carb on it!!
in about 1967, Ford issued a service bulletin that it was ok for the block thermostats to be left out of the engines. On the several MEL engines that I have removed water pumps on, all but 2 or 3 of them were still ok. And in 1975 I queried the Richmond, CA distribution center and bought the last 5 that they had. (Plan Ahead!) When I find them, I carefully work them out and test them in a pan of boiling water. They will either open (good), or they won't (bad).
The MEL engines MUST have good diverters in them or there will much reduced coolant flow to the heads!

Mercon
Airman basic

Post by Mercon » Sat 10. Apr 2021, 08:04

I recently purchased a 1956 Continental with a 1959 Mercury 430. Haven't pulled the water pump yet to see if the block thermostats are in there. Given that old thermostats are generally unreliable, I plan to remove them if they are there. My question is on the best configuration. The video on Engine Masters shows a blanking plate over the head diverter location and pumping water into what would be the thermostat location. I have seen used block photos that show the thermostats in place and also with what looks like a brass plug.
Anyone have thoughts on the best overall configuration?

23 seconds in:

[attachment=1]ebay block 15.jpg
download/file.php?mode=view&id=4308
Attachments
Thermostat Plug.jpg
Brass Plug?
s-l500.jpg
Ford block thermostats
s-l500.jpg (25.87 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
ebay block 15.jpg
Shows block thermostats

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris430 » Sat 10. Apr 2021, 20:33

A local builder turned his dividers to the block. This forces coolant through the back of the block up through the rear of the head and forward to the front intake crossover. The large intake coolant passage was filled from the rear to front stoping at the crossover leaving it open. It is "plumbed" like most other engines. I'll let him post and reveal himself if he wants. I sent you a PM.

Mercon
Airman basic

Post by Mercon » Tue 11. May 2021, 10:21

Turns out, that is not a brass plug but the newer thermostat design.
Here is a nice video on removal:

Return to “MEL Engine Unique Cooling System”