Hi All, Just bought a 62 Lincoln with a MEL 430...

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: Keys, Saxophone, Clarinet, Drums, Bass

Hi All, Just bought a 62 Lincoln with a MEL 430...

Post by NicSanford » Wed 18. May 2011, 20:55

Hello everybody, my name is Nic and I found this site by Googling info about my engine. I was going to try and find a new model engine to fit in my Lincoln, but after much deliberation, I decided to rebuild the original 430. As far as I know it has been garaged for the past 27 years, and the motor runs. As soon as I get a new starter I'll be on my way to getting her going.

This is my first old school, and I hope my knowledge of computers and tech will translate well when I get into this motor. Infact, I've decided I want to change career paths and get certified in mechanics. My wife, kids, and I are currently in a condo with pretty strict homeowners regulations, so no space to work on her here, but maybe I can convince my dad to let me use his garage.

Anyhow, I picked this one up for $2000, and other than some light body work, the worst of which is a dent in the rear right door, she's really clean. Imagine most of the work will go into the motor. So, I hope to gain some knowledge while I'm here, to post up pics of my progress. I also look forward to getting to know you all. This is going to be a fun ride...

Best,

Nic

Attached picture is after I replaced the right wing window, and added original 62 hubcaps and thin white wall tires...
Attachments
2011-05-13_12-53-12_816.jpg
Last edited by NicSanford on Wed 18. May 2011, 22:26, edited 2 times in total.

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Re: Hi All, Just bought a 62 Lincoln with a MEL 430...

Post by NicSanford » Wed 18. May 2011, 20:59

A shot of the Lincoln when I first checked it out...
Attachments
2011-05-01_16-19-42_512.jpg

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Wed 18. May 2011, 21:01

Shot of the interior. Very clean orginal red. Leather needs some light restoring, but no tears, the headliner is in near perfect shape, and carpets are really clean...
Attachments
2011-05-01_17-09-45_431.jpg

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Wed 18. May 2011, 21:06

Shot of my boys, Izeyah on the left, Murray on the right...
Attachments
2011-05-03_19-45-07_893.jpg

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Wed 18. May 2011, 22:20

Picture my dad took of Lincoln & I... The left side is in great shape...
Attachments
Lincoln & I.jpg

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Wed 18. May 2011, 22:23

The rear seats...
Attachments
Backseats.jpg

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 19. May 2011, 06:30

Hi Nic,
welcome to the forum. Looks like you found a nice car in a pretty healthy shape. I like the pic w. your kids, Ha Ha. Big car for big boys ;). Hang out with us and good luck w. your project.

P.S.
BTW. I had to delete one participant's response because it was violating forum rules. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by NicSanford » Thu 19. May 2011, 11:21

Thanks Theo. I imagine it will take me a while to really get this project off the ground, but I've got time on my hands. I especially can't wait to put a new grille on it, and get the motor going, of course. I haven't got it started yet, but the guy I bought it from says there's no knocks or pings and that it sounds good. I still wonder how good of condition a 50 year old car can be in, so hopefully I can atleast get it going without a total rebuild yet.

As for the other response I got, how did it violate forum rules? Just curious to know so I don't make the same mistake. Also, do you know anybody else on here with a 430 that would be a good resource for info? Do you have the 430 in any of your projects? Thanks again, Theo...

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 19. May 2011, 13:47

Nick, the 430 is a widely used MEL engine. You will find enough information about it when reading the topics in the sections of your interests. Feel free to ask whatever yyou like to know. Things go a little slow here but I'm sure s.o. will chime in sooner or later to help you on your question.
I currently don't have a MEL project going on, but others do. So don't worry, there is nothing magic about this motor. It's just a little differnet than oither typical V8 engines.
As for the banning the participant this has been a long story especially with this particular participant. Youmight want to read more about it in the old links listed below.
The participant has been violating the forum rules repeatedly. He has been warned a few times, so the latest post really made me pull the trigger. It's the first time a regular user has been banned and hopefully this will be the last time.
Sorry having you coming near this cross fire, especially as this is your introduction. Be asured that this is an exceptional situation and that this forum is a very pleasant placfe to chat.
Enjoy
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=535

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=236

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=229&hilit=redirecting
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 19. May 2011, 14:25

Nice looking car Nic. That interior looks to be in really great shape. There is so much info here on this forum regarding this motor that most questions are already answered. It just takes a little time to read it all.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Oh, and you might want to keep your computer job to fund this project. ;)

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”