Nother new guy with a 430 Lincoln

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
Wowcars
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: Radio

Nother new guy with a 430 Lincoln

Post by Wowcars » Tue 16. Feb 2010, 15:48

Hey all. Name is Ryan, am 32 and single. haha.
I have been trying to get on this board for a while, but I didn't realize my email was sending the confirmation to my spam box! I've been a member of the HAMB since 01, been building hot rods for many years and have just picked up a 1958 430 Lincoln to put into my 1954 Ford Ranch Wagon (pictured below). Initially plans were for a 302/AOD :roll: that I have, but after installing a 1958 430 Mercury Marauder into a 1955 F-100 at the shop, I was sold on the torque of the MEL. I helped a friend a few years ago restore his '58 Edsel Villager Wagon, but I moved to Illinois before I got to hear the engine fire. A week ago I went and picked up my 430 from a guy who, sadly, got the engine from a future derby car. Made me sick thinking about it, but I got the engine and trans out of it at least.
Plans are to freshen up the heads, check the bottom end, re-gasket and clean it all up. I just rebuilt a W&H DuCoil Distributor for it and I have a polished Edelbrock LM6 6x2 intake that I'll be running six Rochester 2GCs on. With a Wil-cap adapter, I'll put a 700R GM trans behind it with a 9" Ford and our shops signature rear suspension. Should be a good platform with plenty of power to pull my vintage camper with and I can't wait to get it to that point!
My wagon before:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii31 ... Wagon1.jpg
Now, it is all torn apart with the frame at the blasters.
Here's a pic of the Edsel I helped with:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii31 ... Edsel1.jpg
And the F-100 we just finished up at the shop:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ ... CN2124.jpg

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nother new guy with a 430 Lincoln

Post by Theo » Tue 16. Feb 2010, 17:59

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. Nice wagon you got. I'm curious to see the progress of your work. If there's s.th. you can call a head turner, this one will be. Please keep in touch.
Have fun
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Wowcars
Airman
Airman

Post by Wowcars » Tue 16. Feb 2010, 18:20

Thanks for the nice words, Theo. A little more background on the Ranch Wagon, my sister became the second owner of the car around '87 for her High School car. Years later I got my hands on it and drove it for a while til the Y-block puked. After getting some other projects done, my dad and I decided to tear into it about a year ago. Originally it was the sea green, but I'm thinking of going with the original color the interior is, Kilarney Green for the body with a white and abalone flake roof.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 16. Feb 2010, 18:35

I love wagons. For the last 30 years all my cars except for my T-Bird were wagons.
So here's the base you're going to use for car.
207_kilarney_green.jpg
207_kilarney_green.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 6339 times
Great color. It will nicely contrast the six duals in the engine bay. Wow!! Enjoy life NOW. You will soon get married ;)
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Wowcars
Airman
Airman

Post by Wowcars » Sat 10. Apr 2010, 11:59

Theo, I hope that's not a premonition about me getting married! :o

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 10. Apr 2010, 16:16

Well, it is. Nothing you can do about it. Wagons are family cars and sure do send out signs. I've been there;)
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Sun 11. Apr 2010, 07:34

Welcome Ryan! Looking forward to seeing updates of your project. Hope the MEL 430 will prove to be a solid starting point. Don't forget to replace that timing gear & remove the two block thermostats!

How much customizing will you have to do to make the 430 & tranny fit the wagon?

cheers,
Reijer

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”