New here, but old MEL guy

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
Beep
Airman basic

New here, but old MEL guy

Post by Beep » Sat 11. Jul 2009, 10:55

Hello out there in MEL land. I am new to this specific site, but have been using MEL engines since their birth in 1957 (as the 58 model) engine. My experinece with MEL & FE engines is through drag racing. I have never restored a Mercury or an Edsel or a Lincoln, but I have raced all of those engines, MEL's as well as FE's. I currently operate a restored 1962 model AA/Fuel Coupe powered by a 430 Lincoln MEL engine. It has a NOS Isky roller 5 cycle camshaft and valve train with NOS Isky adjustable rockers, an old Scheiffer double disc clutch assembly, M/T rods and pistons, a GMC 671 supercharger, Hilborn 4 port injectors, vertex magneto (camshaft driven) and a lot more. I have a wealth of performance experience with the engine and am willing to share will willing listeners. You just have to ask.

My e-mail address is BPerrenot@hotmaildotcom

I am a memeber of several other board such as the H.A.M.B, the Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln forum, the FE Forum, the Lincoln forum and Ford Ranchero forum. I go by Beep on all of them.

If you want to see up close a real MEL powered race car, Google "Cacklefest.com", at the top of the page click on "the cars", then scroll down until you find The GizzleHopper, click on her and there ya go. Read all about her.

If you want to see and hear her run Google U-tube, then search for cacklefest or GizzleHopper.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New here, but old MEL guy

Post by Theo » Sat 11. Jul 2009, 12:42

Beep, thank you so much for your introduction. It's sometimes surprising and interesting to read an introduction from somebody who has been a member for a while but didn't write an introduction yet.So we had a MEL Engine drag racer among us without knowing it.
Your introduction reads very interesting and I'm sure there will be a few questions once in a while. In the past there have been a few participants who were looking for HP engine parts such as cams and pistons but didn't get too much information on that issiue.
As far as I know there ain't too many parts left for MELs in the aftermarket. I'm more an FE guy than a MEL expert so I only can assume that there are very few MEL powered race cars too. It looks like we have one or the very few MEL racers among us. That's interesting and a treasure I'm sure all of us do appreciate. Thank you for joining this community.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 11. Jul 2009, 12:45

Beep, I edited your e-mail address to protect you from spam bots that automatically collect e-mail addresses for their bad work.
BTW. participants can e-mail you anyway by klicking the letter graphic right beneith your nick name on the left hand side of your post.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Sun 12. Jul 2009, 03:55

Welcome Beep. I hadn´t put two and two together about you the forum member and your car the GizzleHopper. It´s very impressive. Has it generated a following? I can imagine having a relatively unknown motor in your dragster can give others new ideas.

Beep
Airman basic

Post by Beep » Wed 15. Jul 2009, 11:38

Yes, the GizzleHopper AA/Fuel Comp Coupe has drawn a fairly large audience and following. It is an interesting car from four points of veiw that everyone seems to really like and enjoy.

1) It last raced in 1962 so it really is a true nostalgia car from the past. The engine sat in my dads garage for 42 years waiting to be re-born.
2) It is powered by a MEL from 58 Lincoln. Very few older people and none of the young ones know what that is. When they ask me "what kind of engine that is", I tell them to guess and if they are wrong they have to buy a t-shirt. LOL, I have sold a lot of shirts.
3) It is a Comp Coupe running on nitro. That class has not been in drag racing for many many years. they are now called "funny cars". This car is the AHRA Class Champion for 1961.
4) :mrgreen: It is driven by my daughter Gretchen. Yes, this car is third generation car. My dad built it, I drove it. I restored it and the grandaughter now drives it.

For you Euro's..... :D yes Gretchen is a German name. She was born in Bremehaven, FRG (West Germany at the time) when I was in the US Army. No, she does not speak German.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 15. Jul 2009, 12:27

Greetchen!! What a cute name. I have never ever come across some woman with the name of Greetchen. That is an ancient name that you can read in books but you won't expect to meet in real life past 1955 or so. I think I really like it. There is a current trend to give your newborn an old classic name. Greetchen is a way cool name IMO and extremely German nostalgia ;)
Yeah, great history regarding the Gizzle Hopper and very unusual that it is driven by a female.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Fri 17. Jul 2009, 03:15

Was the '58 MEL the one with the very high compression ratio and 375 hosepower. I remember reading they lowered the compression ratio as it was a bit too much for most people.

The_Stig
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: whistle

Post by The_Stig » Sun 7. Jul 2013, 09:37

The '58 Marauder was the first production engine to reach 400 hp. After about 6 months, they detuned it, because the oil companies couldn't get their act together on a fuel quality standard, which wasn't a problem at all a few years after that. If you could remember that device on a 50's vehicle caled an "Octane Selector", this was simply an external timing retarder to compensate for poor local fuel. It's too bad FMC didn't restore the 430 to its original 400 horses, as soon as the fuel problem got ironed out.
Oh, yeah. I almost forgot why I'm on this thread in the first place. I'm "Stig" and have been living for about 23 years in Germany. I think I got coonected to this link from H.A.M.B or a Google picture and was fascinated by what people here do with their MELs. I'm on a German Ford forum, because I drive a Mondeo and I happen to run into members there who own T-Birds and Lincolns. I help them out of jams and am talking a couple of them into removing the irrelavent blocks and replacing them with MELs. The ones who have MELs get tuning advice from me of which this forum will be helpful.
Thanks Theo for having me on bord

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”