Introductions

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
medic31a
Airman basic

Re: Introductions

Post by medic31a » Wed 27. May 2009, 19:30

I was looking at the invoice and I paid right around 600 american for the pistons that were put in. I used this builder because he came highly regarded for his work. What he put toghter has been great and she runs 100% better than before. I trusted him to treat me right and I still think he did but Idid not know the major differnces between the two styles-thinking he new his @#$% but I say that and I feel a little more than upset after visting the EGGE website and seeing what their prices are. Looks real close to what I paid for the flat top stlye. I wonder if they are the correct size and shape? I must admit I really dont want to find out that had someone, myself included, done a little more homework that I could have had the right parts instead of replacement using sub-par parts.
Succuss Depends on the Company You Keep

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Thu 28. May 2009, 03:24

$600 for flat tops? I'd be pissed off too. Two years ago I paid around for $400 for the - nearly correct - step design pistons from Egge. Still, I don't think you should beat yourself up. You have a properly running rebuilt running motor. It'll probably develop less torque but I can't imagine it's noticeable in 5000 lbs. car that - I'm guessing - you're not taking to the drag strip. Others deliberately chose flat top pistons to avoid compression problems with modern petrol.

KULTULZ

Post by KULTULZ » Thu 28. May 2009, 06:11

reijerlincoln wrote:
Others deliberately chose flat top pistons to avoid compression problems with modern petrol.
The dome shape of a MEL piston top has no direct correlation on CR. The step design is there because the combustion chamber is in the actual cylinder and not dictated by cylinder head design. It creates a swirl effect in the combustion chamber (theory is in the shop manual). That step design must be used to have the combustion chamber operate as designed. One would vary CR by either decking the piston top or using a dished piston (MEL actually used relief chambers in the cylinder head in some applications).

The only difference you will most likely see with the generic pistons is reduced HP @ upper RPM. The engine will operate fine as an everyday driver. You cannot correctly blame the builder as most likely he had no idea of how a MEL operates. The blame should be on the suppliers that pass off these generic pistons as correct.

medic31a
Airman basic

Post by medic31a » Thu 28. May 2009, 10:04

I have to admit that I am broken hearted to certain degree, no one likes to get the short end of the stick. To be honest and not bragI did get pulled over this morning by CHP, saying I was doing 70 in a 55. Not my normal operating speed but the car is a daily driver for work. I travel close to 80 miles round trip when I head over to the station, so I have to admit I impressed myself and the CHiP too! No ticket given, blamed it on a stuck "throttle", and he bought it! Anyway I guess I will always be irritated by the fact knowing that pistons I am running are not perfect for the car. I would like to keep the car as close to origanl as possible but nothing is ever truly perfect. I did I nice oil change the other day and went with a 10-40 from Royal Purple. So far so good and maybe it is a mental thing but I did notice a slight change and getting pulled over may be prove that. :lol:

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 28. May 2009, 11:02

How did the car handle at that speed? Are you using Bias Ply, or Radials. I use Bias on my cars, and down here in L.A. area those lines cut in the freeway make the car float in the lane from side to side. I admit that I've been at speed, but very rarely because of this issue. Oh yeah, no tickets in 20 years!!!! Now I've jinxed myself. :lol:

All the best...
Rick

medic31a
Airman basic

Post by medic31a » Thu 28. May 2009, 15:32

I spend alot of road time on the 99, 41 and 46 here in central CA. I have some Firestone radials and she will run! I have taken here out to a drag strip that is the area where I work as an paramedic supersvior/assistant operations manager. The strip you may have heard of, Auto Club Famoso. I went down the quarter mile with no real expections just went for it and hit close to 80mph but I kept going past the finish line to get there. :twisted: Anyway one of these days I will get around to messing around with posting some pictures. There is another track that I drive out this way, Buttonwillow Raceway. A friend of mine bought one of those new Nissan 370Z's and wanted to burn some gas. Nice track. I deal with the owners of both tracks when it comes to providing track side medical care for their events.

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”