430 mel

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
Linc65
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: None

430 mel

Post by Linc65 » Sun 26. Mar 2017, 13:28

Hi my name is Lonny. I own a 65 continental with a 430. What I am wondering is if the engine can be lifted by the heads where the intake manifold bolts. I'm trying to replace the motor mounts and at the same time removing the oil pan for a new gasket and oil pump. Not many places to jack up motor from beneath. I will also be replacing exhaust manifold gasket in drivers side. Any info thanks

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 430 mel

Post by Theo » Sun 26. Mar 2017, 13:57

There are lifter plates available that bolt on on your carb flange. They seem to work pretty well. I would probably hesitate to bolt on the header bolts alone. Maybe a combination of various points will do the trick. lifting the engine without the trans might help make things lighter on the bolts.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Linc65
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: None

Post by Linc65 » Sun 26. Mar 2017, 14:14

Yeah thank you. Have you lifted these engines with the carb plate bolted to the intake? Just was not sure the weight of the engine would be to much. Not that the bolts are not enough just didn't want to risk cracking the cast intake seeing how hard they can be to find. Also thanks for the site very good info here. Hope to have the car back to reliable standards in a couple weeks.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sun 26. Mar 2017, 14:29

Yes, I've done it w. an FE engine. Works fine. I've also used home made brackets that boltet on the cylinder heads front and back sides. Not sure w. the MEL engine. My last built was 20 years ago and can't really remember if it has those bolt holes at the same location as the FE engines.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”