Barn Find - '59 Ranchero w/ 430 MEL

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
soyboy
Airman basic

Barn Find - '59 Ranchero w/ 430 MEL

Post by soyboy » Sat 9. Aug 2014, 00:11

I recently got a 'barn find' 1959 Ford Ranchero with a 430 MEL engine in it! A rare find as I have been informed. Your forum has greatly enlightened me as to what I have. I am not sure about the transmission type just yet, but it looks matching in color and beefiness. This is my first american car and V8 at age 51! Having the time of my life! All this is new to me and a great learning experience already.

I have purchased several books and manuals for the car. Reading up on whatever I can in planing the restoration.

I have begun engine disassembly last weekend. Got the hoses, coil and radiator off. Still prying the carb off (gently, I swear!) after 50 years. Has a Ford 4 barrel on it. I am looking for an expert for the actual block rebuild. And tranny too.
The metal cover plate (under the carb manifold) covering the exposed pushrods going from the cam to valve cover has a rust hole all the way through (due to weather exposure from open hood!), so I am concerned as to what damage is below on the block/pushrods.

I love her so much already and the 'ranchero lifestyle' that I bought a 1957 Ranchero daily driver while I restore this baby (I couldn't wait). I needed to have fun right away! I drive it each day. The bubbling v8 purring sounds, the ultimate simplicity and pureness of it all is really refreshing and exciting. I can actually do this!...

The '59 Ranchero was found in a field in Merced, CA. Was last registered in 1982. So it sat there all that time, 31 years (with hood slightly open to the elements as shown in photo). Has always been a black plate CA car. Brought to Santa Maria, CA where I bought there as shown in the photos. She is now in San Luis Obispo, CA being restored in my driveway. Not a rat rod but a rusty runner at this point is the goal. Plan on using Eastwood rust products for her. I can handle that type of restoration mostly myself, a frame-on restoration. Hire professionals where I need but keep it as cheap as I can.

Looks like the engine and tranny dropped right in with no mods to the car or frame . I was told that the thunderbird could have the MEL option back in the day and if it fit in the T-Bird, it fits in the Ranchero. Seems like I have a monster in there waiting to be reborn and unleashed. I could use help in confirming block id/number and tranny id/type to confirm exactly what I have.

I have attached some photos of the car as found and the engine. I am also on the Ranchero USA forum as well. I guess you will have to start a "Ford Restoration Projects" section now!...

Her full name is Kristine VonKrust... I call 'er VonKrust for short...

Thank You,
Aron
Attachments
photo3.JPG
manifold numbers... any info?
photo2.JPG
finally got the carb off!...
photo.JPG
engine disassembly begins...
$(KGrHqZHJFUFHLh9k5PoBR8zCNsR1Q~~60_57.jpg
intact merc engine! I knew it was different right away
$T2eC16VHJHwFG0uFUuFUBR8y4g7VGg~~60_57.jpg
trailer queen... ;) from 30+ yrs. in a field, so they say
IMG_9003.JPG
As I bought 'er... love at first sight...

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Barn Find - '59 Ranchero w/ 430 MEL

Post by Theo » Sat 23. Aug 2014, 07:01

Welcome to the forum
Best regards
Theo
Admin

soyboy
Airman basic

Re: Barn Find - '59 Ranchero w/ 430 MEL

Post by soyboy » Sat 23. Aug 2014, 22:33

Thanks Theo,

Glad to be here. Already have gotten a lot of information and have learned a lot. Keeps me excited about my project as well.

Aron

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”