roller rockers for the 430

Exchange knowledge and discuss MEL engine related aftermarket engine parts like cams, rods, chains, intakes and lots more.
Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: roller rockers for the 430

Post by Theo » Wed 6. Jul 2011, 17:03

Cool, did you do a rough mock up to see if there is amy interference between the rocker arm and the valve cover? It's most likely the first and the last rocker arm on the shaft that can cause a interference problem.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Fri 8. Jul 2011, 17:42

I'll do that... and let you know

Edited to add: I checked out the interference issues, and with the Moon cast aluminum covers, interference is no problem. I can see the interference problem taking place with stock valve covers however...

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Treinarts » Mon 30. Jan 2012, 13:11

A quick reminder that the MEL rocker shafts are a touch longer than FE rocker shafts. You are better served by getting new rocker arm shafts made for the MEL. Guy in Fresno does them with thicker wall steel. Same guy who does the oil pump quill shafts. TJR

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Mon 27. Feb 2012, 19:11

Yes, and the spacers are different, so I had to make a couple on the lathe, and shorten a couple.
I didn't need shafts, since I had three sets to choose from, all with less than 750 total hours on each set. Marine engines don't get a lot of hours typically.

64Sedan
Airman
Airman

Post by 64Sedan » Fri 8. Feb 2013, 13:54

What size did you make the spacers? I am in process of converting from stock arms to FE.

Thanks

Chris Craft crazy wrote:Yes, and the spacers are different, so I had to make a couple on the lathe, and shorten a couple.
I didn't need shafts, since I had three sets to choose from, all with less than 750 total hours on each set. Marine engines don't get a lot of hours typically.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 8. Feb 2013, 15:19

You should take measurements of your particular valve train. Every engine differs by a few thousands.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Thu 10. Dec 2015, 18:38

So here is another question for the valve train geometry gurus. It appears that looking at this build of mine that the rocker shaft stands could benefit being .100 higher than stock, with the stock pushrod, and adjustable Harland Sharp roller rockers... 1.76 ratio. I know the FE fords have a long contact area anyway, but it appears we could benefit from the stand height change.... any thoughts?

The other issue is where to get the higher stands. TD machining would make them, but I don't know how much.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 11. Dec 2015, 00:02

Did you think about using shims underneath the stands? This might be an option for you
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Fri 11. Dec 2015, 17:38

I have thought about using shims, although I would have thought they would make shims in a kit just for this purpose. What several suppliers including Harland Sharp make is a set of billet stands, as well as end supports for the rocker shaft. I have emailed HS to see what the cost of a set of billet stands .100 higher than stock. I would think they would make it.... if not then T&D Machining will make custom stands.

There is an oil supply coming up through the stands, which makes the shims a little fussy, and I am thinking that this build is relatively calm, but if I improve the valve train strength anywhere, then I can change cams and swap springs and I would be in good shape.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Return to “MEL Engine Aftermarket Parts”