MEL Roller Cam Installation Warning.

Exchange knowledge and discuss MEL engine related aftermarket engine parts like cams, rods, chains, intakes and lots more.
KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

MEL Roller Cam Installation Warning.

Post by KULTULZ » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 14:30

This E-Mail was received by me from a friend with a 58 MERC 430 MARAUDER Engine;

"Thought I would write and share with you something I would have never thought about being a problem with putting a roller cam in a 430. I tore into my 430 (again) to replace the roller lifter locking bars with some that were slightly longer to give the lifters a bit more freedom of movement. That of course meant I needed to remove the pushrod cover (valley pan). When preparing the pushrod cover for a new gasket I happened to glance at the baffle for the crankcase vent where I found five very strange dings (two on one side of the baffle and three on the other). After thinking about it a bit I came to realize they were made by the locking bar retainers on the lifters.

With that revelation I realized why I had experienced so much unusualness in trying to get things right, which is a bit hard to do when both the exhaust and intake lifters on cylinders 4 and 8 had really been banging away at the baffle. The fifth ding was from the intake lifter on cylinder 7, and was probably not severe enough to really affect valve function as the others could have been doing. Solution: Fine tune the given areas on the baffle with a ball peen hammer. Whap, Whap, Whap!

Thought you might find it interesting and something you might sometime pass along to those participating in the MEL forum."

Broken link to photo (Kultulz can you edit?)

Thanx For The Tip Jim...

alternate
Editorial Group
Editorial Group
Music instruments you're playing: Vuvuzela

Re: MEL Roller Cam Installation Warning.

Post by alternate » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 14:32

Originally postet by "Migginsbros "

After looking (severall times) on the picture from the block including the roller cam warning there is a diferent between the installation of the small coolant valves in front.
The valves at our engine are installed reverse the installation at the picture.
Any information about this?

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 14:33

Best regards
Theo
Admin

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 14:34

Block Thermostats Update

65/72 LINC-MERC MPC

The use of the block thermostats was discontinued in the 1963 model year. The notation is under PN C3VY 6009-B (cylinder assembly).

They are no longer available for service and the particpants at the LCOC Board have not noticed any changes in performance or operation without them. The diverters are still necessary though.

The block thermostat is assembled in reverse from a normal thermostat in that the temp sensing bulb is on the opposite side of the opening/closing spring.

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Mon 27. Sep 2010, 14:35

Correction On Block Thermostats

LINCOLN AND MERCURY SERVICE BULLETIN NO. 18 Date: 2-21-58

Alternate Engine Block Thermostats

Two engine block thermostats of different design are being used in the 1958 engines. One design is installed in the block with only the valve head protruding, whereas the other design has the valve closing spring projecting out into the water pump casting.

They are interchangeable.

Return to “MEL Engine Aftermarket Parts”