valve covers

Exchange knowledge and discuss MEL engine related aftermarket engine parts like cams, rods, chains, intakes and lots more.
Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: valve covers

Post by Theo » Mon 21. Sep 2009, 10:33

Wow, those prizes are insane. Nice set uo Anthony.
So, if my tired eyes have seen it right, the replicas will basically be MT style .
Best regards
Theo
Admin

59lincolnrag
Air Education & Training Command
Air Education & Training Command
Music instruments you're playing: Acoustic Guitar ... when I was young

Post by 59lincolnrag » Mon 21. Sep 2009, 10:55

Yes ...prices are very high.....If you send everything out to get re-done .you will be broke in no time .....So ...that's why I do most everything myself. I'm not a pro ...but I do my best.
Looking at Number 258 lot the valve cover casting molds there are 3 pictures.....Who is to say one of us guys couldn't make these. I have a decent set . Can we set these puppys in a plaster cast, and produce something.??
Does any one know how to write a CNC program for this....My company recently sold our CNC Machine .... :cry:
cnczone dot com
My thought was to produce a "Blank" finned valve cover and then make a "M" Mercury "L" Lincoln and My personal favorite the "Lincoln Star"
That Icon can be fastened with (4) counter sunk Allen head screws...
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
1959 Lincoln Continental Coupe blk on blk
430 Tri-Power Super Marauder
1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible wht on wht
2006 Lincoln Town Car

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 22. Sep 2009, 01:26

So you're looking for s.o. who can write the cnc program for the Icons? Each M. L and the star are inependent units? Do you think it will be cheaper to machine them instead of casting those icons too?
You need the drawings that the writer can use for the cnc programming. I'm not an expert. I assume you need two initial preperation steps to be done. First s.o. to make the drawings, second s.o. to write the cnc programme according to these drawings. Once you have the programme, the only thing needed is to to feed the cnc machine each time you need a bunch of thhe icon. However each icon (three total) need those two preperation steps.
How about asking some students in the near by neighbourhood. ASFAIK among a few other programmes CATIA can be used too as the data can be exported into various formats.
Students love to work on different things just to have a change within their boring excercises. Folk would at least be mentioned in the credit section and would probably get an own thread in the http://www.ford-mel-engine.com
. If that isn't something......;)
I can keep my eyes opened, but can't promise to find somebody to get the programme started. A drawing or a model would be needed.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman
Music instruments you're playing: The Kazoo

Post by buddy67lincoln » Tue 22. Sep 2009, 05:34

Makes me wish I would have looked more into AutoCAD than I did and I could have made these covers. I had the chance to use CAD CAM programs and everything...but got into landscaping instead. If only I knew what I know now back then I'd be making all kinds of shiny Lincoln parts!!! If I ever go back to school, it will be for cad cam then you will have someone to make parts.
John Lyman
1964 Continental Convertible (actually working on this one!)
1967 Continental Coupe (bucket of rust)
1966 Continental Coupe (mild custom some day???)
1967 Continental 4 door (30,000 miles, part car)
1967 Continental 4 door (scrapped)

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Treinarts » Tue 22. Sep 2009, 08:08

Send me an e-mail and I will forward a picture of Slovers you can post. They are simaliar to yours, but a touch taller and wider. And they do have the "M". Treinarts@mgcklawyers.com

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 22. Sep 2009, 09:10

You can use the board's PM function which enables you to attach fils like photos too. The attach function is at the bottom of the PM screen.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 22. Sep 2009, 10:28

I've just received this photo from Treinarts. Tim can you comment on the dimensions? I think they are slightly different than the stock covers, aren't they?
melvalvecosmall.jpg
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Treinarts » Fri 25. Sep 2009, 10:15

the valve covers are about an inch taller and about a half inch wider than stock to accomodate high lift rockers. The bolts go through the top rather than on lip on the bottom. No interference problems with any intake manifold. Stock, tri power, or hilborn.
There are some tabs on the underside that hold the gasket in place. I will take a picture this weekend.
They look like the Bill Stroppe versions on his racing boat MEL engines.TJR

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman
Music instruments you're playing: The Kazoo

Post by buddy67lincoln » Wed 18. Nov 2009, 08:35

Beautiful! I have seen those auctions before and I wonder where those parts are at today. I think the auction was back in 2006. I was too poor to even try to bid on something like that back then (college). (still am)
John Lyman
1964 Continental Convertible (actually working on this one!)
1967 Continental Coupe (bucket of rust)
1966 Continental Coupe (mild custom some day???)
1967 Continental 4 door (30,000 miles, part car)
1967 Continental 4 door (scrapped)

sr71mopar
Airman basic

Post by sr71mopar » Tue 15. Dec 2009, 20:19

New to the forum. I've had a this set of valve covers for years. I stumbled across this form and now I know what they are. Hope the pic works.
Attachments
merc covers2.jpg

Return to “MEL Engine Aftermarket Parts”