Roller lifters

Exchange knowledge and discuss MEL engine related aftermarket engine parts like cams, rods, chains, intakes and lots more.
Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Roller lifters

Post by Treinarts » Mon 29. Sep 2014, 08:09

What parts or combination of parts are used to create a solid roller lifter for the MEL 430? Can't find any old Isky stuff and I get the impression that some application of link bar lifters can be modified for use in MEL engines. 460 ford? I need a clue. TJR

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Roller lifters

Post by Shelby#18 » Mon 29. Sep 2014, 15:56

Hello Treinarts,

Hope this helps.

Peter Jardine (Chris Craft Crazy) supplied this info. Here is the link. http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... f=6&t=5528

Chris Craft 430's use solid lifters, which are not made anymore, but you can get replacements. Pushrods can be bought as well as valve springs, guides and valves. Heads should have hardened seats put in on both sides, new guides, and new springs. The springs on a 50 year old motor will be all over the map on compressive strength, so replacement springs are a must.

The Ford FE series of engines also use a shaft mounter rocker arm, so a performance set of roller rockers are available still. I used Harland Sharp billet aluminum rockers, and cut down a set of solid spacers from an FE on the lathe, so the springs that keep the rockers in place are gone. There is less chance of valve deflection that way, and the roller rockers are a good upgrade. Some roller rockers will not fit under the stock valve covers so be careful with your choice.

The Camshaft deserves some mention. finding a new camshaft for a reverse rotation engine will be a little daunting, but look for a significant vintage camshaft grinder. If you send him your old cam shaft they should be able to duplicate it from a blank. Beware of hotrodding a 430 camshaft without looking at coil bind on the springs. Additional modification may be necessary to the valve train if you want a higher lift cam.

Here is a view of the heads with the Harland Sharp rockers, but with the stock shaft springs still installed. This was to acheive a mockup for valve cover clearance. The Moon products valve covers are in the background

Last edited by Peter M Jardine on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M Jardine

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by Treinarts » Tue 30. Sep 2014, 10:55

Thank you. Have Roller rockers and hardened shafts. Can't find any of the old Isky roller lifters, and I am waffling back and forth about running a roller cam. Might just get a solid lifter cam ground. Any info on roller lifters would be great. FE roller lifters do not work. They are not wide enough. TJR

Lincolnlvr
Airman basic

Post by Lincolnlvr » Fri 12. Jun 2020, 03:37

Have a set of Isky Roller Lifters Solid , I was going to use them but not suitable for street use. Looking for hydraulic roller lifters. Also have a old Isky Roller Cam but lift and duration is too high. Trying to find the right specs to have it reground for street use.
Attachments
IMG_2241.jpg
Solid Isky Roller Lifter
IMG_2240.jpg
Isky Roller Lifter Solid
IMG_2239.jpg
Isky Solid Roller Lifter

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by Treinarts » Thu 25. Jun 2020, 15:45

If you wish to sell the roller lifters, I am interested. I am in California 209 609 9730. Tim reinarts

Fordman1
Airman basic

Post by Fordman1 » Sat 21. Jan 2023, 22:18

What are the specs on the Isky Roller cam? Very cool stuff!

Return to “MEL Engine Aftermarket Parts”