big valves

Exchange knowledge and discuss MEL engine related aftermarket engine parts like cams, rods, chains, intakes and lots more.
Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

big valves

Post by Treinarts » Wed 12. Feb 2014, 15:52

I had Slover install 2.19 light weight intakes, oversized exhaust, using 5/16 stems, some wicked stiff springs with titanium keepers retainers and used new guide inserts. Have not put the engine in anything yet. Was thinking a boat, or Model A Ford coupe. I have been sidelined for a while and am also now building a stroker to about 500 cid.
I saw the new build one. Impressive power at reasonable RPM.
I want to push the heads as far as I can with valve size and porting. I will be haunting Big M auto wreckers for heads, several sets so I can get max flow. They have several early 58 sets there.
Questions are what are the biggest valves that can be made to work and what combination of parts were used? I will have pistons made. Any other tips would be appreciated. TJR

fourtwoseven
Airman basic

Re: big valves

Post by fourtwoseven » Thu 10. Jul 2014, 08:06

I'm building engines as well...just a note about the heads. The 430-462 heads are never going to flow big numbers...the 462 heads have the best port velocity, while the early big valve heads have a poor short turn. The very best you can do is get good 462 heads, have someone port them well, and supercharge the engine if you are looking for power levels above 500HP. The stock intake valve size would work fine with forced induction, but you would want to go to a bigger exhaust. This is what I am planning on doing on my own 462 big build (551CI).

If you run across a good set of 462 heads that you cannot use, I would appreciate knowing about them. I have a usable set but not worth putting a port & polish job on them...they would work nicely on a stock build. thanks, Stan sjp@palmaarch.com

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Re: big valves

Post by Treinarts » Fri 11. Jul 2014, 08:19

I have heard that 462 heads could be made to flow better, but the big valve early heads could still flow 300cfm. I have not seen any data, and Slover said he did not think any MEL head could flow over 300. So I really do not know what the limitations or advantages there are for any of the MEL heads. Slover did tell me that MEL heads can be ruined by grinding too much in certain areas. Stick to the small improvments. So I did.
Supercharging is not something I would do, but my brother already has a blown 460 and is talking about a blown MEL. I may very well grab a set of 462 heads, just to explore your point. Cheap and can't hurt. TJR

Return to “MEL Engine Aftermarket Parts”