tri power fuel pump

Exchange knowledge and discuss MEL engine related aftermarket engine parts like cams, rods, chains, intakes and lots more.
buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman
Music instruments you're playing: The Kazoo

tri power fuel pump

Post by buddy67lincoln » Fri 16. Jan 2009, 08:13

I have been thinking about getting fuel to my trips and many have asked me to look into it as well. I have been looking online and cannot find anything that answers my questions. I am putting the Super Marauder intake and Holly 2300 carbs on my 462. I know the 430 used a special 3 port fuel pump. I am not really looking forward to paying $850 for a new one! Anyways, i know there are many other cars out there with tri powers so what do their fuel pumps look like? If they are the same as stock, how can I get mine to work correctly when at WOT? Currently I have an electric fuel pump since the push rod is stuck on my original stock engine. It works great but I think you can get adjustable ones. I am not sure if they can add the fuel when its opening the 6 pack. I will keep looking but I thought I would post now and see what I come up with. Take care and thanks.
John Lyman
1964 Continental Convertible (actually working on this one!)
1967 Continental Coupe (bucket of rust)
1966 Continental Coupe (mild custom some day???)
1967 Continental 4 door (30,000 miles, part car)
1967 Continental 4 door (scrapped)

66Lincoupe
Airman
Airman

Re: tri power fuel pump

Post by 66Lincoupe » Fri 16. Jan 2009, 12:04

John, If you're not too concerned about authenticity (um... tri power on a '67... ;) ) you might consider a Holley red (street) pump. At 4PSI it will flow 71 GPH. Max pressure is 7PSI, which most standard needle and seats can handle, If you're really concerned about seat blow-out add a regulator. I used to use the Holley red and a Summit G3131 regulator on my race car.

This pump volume should easily handle the three carbs (I ran twin 750 Edelbrocks on a big block Chevy with it.)

The red has to be mounted as a pusher pump (back by the tank.) I was looking at my car when I was trying to decide which direction to go (street rod or stock) and there's a ton of room in front of the tank on my '66 between the mufflers, your's should be similar.

The pump wasn't too bad, I think right around 110 dollars and the regulator isn't more than 30.

I hope I can keep mine... We'll see.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 16. Jan 2009, 12:43

I too think that any fuel pump will handle the tri power set up. The engine can't consume more than it is capable to perform. Just because there are three carb on it don't mean that it will need 3 times more fuel. It's just a different way to feed an engine.
I would install a plain jane fuel pump or just stick with that electric pump you got.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Fri 16. Jan 2009, 12:45

You will need a fuel log to distribute fuel delivery to all three carbs-
FE TRI-POWER_1.jpg
FE Style Log Manifold
This is a much safer system over the origional SUPER MARAUDER setup as the fuel lines (rubber) are not stretched over the hot intake manifold... :shock:

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 16. Jan 2009, 13:04

This is the typical set up. It looks classy and nicely in order. I don't think that it's much safer than rubber. The metal tube will probably absorb heat more than good old rubber and like allways it depends on how you route the rubber lines. It's easy to keep them away from contacting the engine. The intake manifold is usually the least hottest part in the bay.
But all in all the common rail fixture keeps things nicely in order and looks good.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by buddy67lincoln » Fri 16. Jan 2009, 13:14

KULTULZ wrote:You will need a fuel log to distribute fuel delivery to all three carbs-
FE TRI-POWER_1.jpg
This is a much safer system over the origional SUPER MARAUDER setup as the fuel lines (rubber) are not stretched over the hot intake manifold... :shock:
I have a log for it...its huge and ugly but will work! I was not concerned about the pump till I heard it from a person or 2 then I got thinking so I asked. Glad I did...I am still a rookie. My other situation is the carbs not being true trips! I know I can get it solved though with help from a guy in IL. The carbs are early 58-62? Ford 2V carbs. I think the guy I bought them off of has taken that into account when he had them rebuilt years ago, but he never got around to using them on his T-bird. I never thought about incorrect tri power carbs either! Once I call the guy in IL I will post what he said. It should be something that can be taken care of..I hope! Thanks for the help like always.

P.S. I really wish I had the D-neck carbs! Air cleaners are hard to find for the large neck on my deuces.
John Lyman

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by buddy67lincoln » Fri 16. Jan 2009, 15:09

KULTULZ wrote:You will need a fuel log to distribute fuel delivery to all three carbs-

KULTULZ, I was just going through the old MEL forum looking for a topic you posted on another forum and I had to backdate to January 2004! I did but in the meantime I came across the previous owner of my intake and carbs (Jeff). Yourself and Jeff talked back and forth about the carbs being incorrect tri power carbs and only being 3 regular 2Vs. He must have done some work to them to get the air horns to clear the following carb. http://www.network54.com/Forum/257364/m ... permaurder Thought that was interesting to stumble upon when I have all these questions and I was just looking for something else! I appreciate all the years of knowledge you gathered. Even came across the one where you talked to Lynn Wineland who designed all the Super Marauder brite work! Thats on the same page in the old forum. Where the hell was I all those years? Too busy being a kid I should have known all this years ago and I could have my car on the road by now!
John Lyman

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sat 17. Jan 2009, 07:28

Are the carbs that came with the manifold FORD 2100's or HOLLEY 2300's?

FE Style Fuel Log On 430-
3_2_installation.jpg
It appears to be made from EFI aluminum rail.

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by buddy67lincoln » Sat 17. Jan 2009, 08:12

KULTULZ wrote:Are the carbs that came with the manifold FORD 2100's or HOLLEY 2300's?

It appears to be made from EFI aluminum rail.
They are 2300s with 2100 Autolites to make it look original. He had them changed. The list numbers are all messed up too since he was turning this into tri power from non tri power carbs. They should be '58-'62? regular 2V carbs. I think it will work, I have to call the guy in IL by the name of John Bunetic. He was referred to me from a guy who had the Ford 6V website. I also saw his name in the archives yesterday on the old MEL site. He does this all the time I suppose. Looks like that set up in the photo is in a 60s Lincoln. I wonder if he needed hood mods? I do believe the earlier 60's Lincolns had lower hood lines than the '66 and up. Too bad we cannot come across anymore photos of that. Thanks for the help.
John Lyman

59lincolnrag
Air Education & Training Command
Air Education & Training Command
Music instruments you're playing: Acoustic Guitar ... when I was young

Post by 59lincolnrag » Sun 8. Mar 2009, 07:07

John here is a pic of my pump ....its really not much ..... Just an adapter that mounts on top..
DSCN2206-vi.jpg
DSCN2206-vi.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 18783 times
You can mill an adapter with 3 outlets ...radius the ends add some fins on top for the cool factor ... and you got it!
Here is a place where you can get Fuel pump parts.
Then and now automotive....
http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_ ... motive.htm
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
1959 Lincoln Continental Coupe blk on blk
430 Tri-Power Super Marauder
1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible wht on wht
2006 Lincoln Town Car

Return to “MEL Engine Aftermarket Parts”