Advice for a carburator for 462

Discussion about aftermarket carburetor set ups, repairs and modification.
buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman
Music instruments you're playing: The Kazoo

Re: Advice for a carburator for 462

Post by buddy67lincoln » Wed 14. Jan 2009, 15:15

Fredrik wrote:
buddy67lincoln wrote:
Theo wrote:Summit racing sells reasonably ptized auto parts. Buy their "phenolic carb spacer" in the height you desire. It's a bit more expensive than the plastic or what ever fantastic spacers but does keep your carb way cooler than it would get heated up under normal conditions w/o it.
The E-Bock carbs are available with the Ford kick down linkage as an option. No use to convert or buy parts afterwards.

Buddy if you wouldnt mind find the name and model I would be greatful. that could save me some time since im still in a learning stage ;)
Here is the link to the exact spacer I bought:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/3404/10002/-1

Here is the Carburetor I used. It was a 750 CFM with elec. choke:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1411/10002/-1

This is the linkage adapter kit from Edelbrock:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1483/10002/-1

The only thing that is different is the throttle linkage kit. My instructions right in front of me say the same numbers the year is different on the site. Directions in front of me say "1967 and newer Ford automatic transmission kick down linkage" but the site says 1968. I think it does not matter since its the same transmission! I think this is all I needed besides some extra fuel line to get fuel across to the passenger side of the carb. There are a lot of online installation videos as well you can use. Hope all of this helps. Some other things I will suggest is the Pertronix electronic igintion:

Pertronix Flame Thrower II coil (mine is chrome since its on top of the engine):
http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/45001/10002/-1

Pertronix Ignitor:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/1281/10002/-1
This one might be better: http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/91281/10002/-1

I think that should do it besides gaskets of course for the carb. You have a square bore with the 4 holes that are even sized. Good luck!
John Lyman
1964 Continental Convertible (actually working on this one!)
1967 Continental Coupe (bucket of rust)
1966 Continental Coupe (mild custom some day???)
1967 Continental 4 door (30,000 miles, part car)
1967 Continental 4 door (scrapped)

59lincolnrag
Air Education & Training Command
Air Education & Training Command
Music instruments you're playing: Acoustic Guitar ... when I was young

Post by 59lincolnrag » Thu 19. Feb 2009, 09:35

Yes this is all good advice .... jegs has the best price shipping and handling.....
I used a .250 spacer under a stock carter with an aluminum heat shield.
The Pertronix unit hooks up in 5 minutes.........
Both my cars run exceptionally well.
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
1959 Lincoln Continental Coupe blk on blk
430 Tri-Power Super Marauder
1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible wht on wht
2006 Lincoln Town Car

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by buddy67lincoln » Thu 19. Feb 2009, 10:40

59lincolnrag wrote:Yes this is all good advice .... jegs has the best price shipping and handling.....
I used a .250 spacer under a stock carter with an aluminum heat shield.
The Pertronix unit hooks up in 5 minutes.........
Both my cars run exceptionally well.
I do not remember if I mentioned it but I did use a 1" phenolic spacer on my '67 and the hood closed with the air original air cleaner. I have to think about what I did about that vacuum that was on the original carb spacer. I think I must have just put it on the carb??? Don't remember. I don't have the carb anymore but I have photos so I will see what I did about that vac. line. Man did she run smooth! She was sitting since 1984 and I got it running and did the elec fuel pump, pertronix, and carb and you could balance a nickel on the air cleaner!
John Lyman

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 19. Feb 2009, 11:43

John, I assume that you used the big diameter nippel in the carb base that shows to the front. It's made just for that reason. You can't miss it.
T&hat's at least the case with an E-bock carb. With the orig. Carter units I'm not sure if they feature the same provision at the same location.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by buddy67lincoln » Thu 19. Feb 2009, 12:36

Theo wrote:John, I assume that you used the big diameter nippel in the carb base that shows to the front. It's made just for that reason. You can't miss it.
T&hat's at least the case with an E-bock carb. With the orig. Carter units I'm not sure if they feature the same provision at the same location.
Yes I was thinking about it so I know thats where I put it. The only other difference from the factory Carter AFB and the Edelbrock is the fuel inlet is located on the side (passenger) of the Edelbrock instead of in front like the factory one. Can't go wrong for cruising, its a sure swap! I used a 750 CFM
John Lyman

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 20. Feb 2009, 00:41

Just a word regarding the E-Bocks. I've encountered fuel chamber pollution more than once from aluminium chips. The mashining process during production doesn't seem to clean off sharp edges and such.
In my case the aluminum chips came from the threads of the air screws. After you have played with them for a while, aluminium residuals may enter the fuel chambers and like in my case will block the curb holes or will disturb the needles and jets.
It all translates into a very rough idle, depending on how many chips are in the chamber.
I also found that those fancy look through fuel filters do not filter properly. They are absolute crap IMO.
Yeah, it's those little things like dirty gas that can give you headache and make you fiddle the engine here and there until you find out.
I think it's good advise to inspect the carb wirth a grinder and air pressure before installation. All in all the E-Bocks and Carter AFB carbs are a great out of the box running value. I've heard less problems with them than with the Holleys.
The Holley has a lot more to offer if you race, but that's in most instances not the case for MEL engines.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

bestrada11
Airman basic

Post by bestrada11 » Wed 18. Mar 2009, 22:59

PONY CARBURATORS IS DEFINITELY STILL IN BUSINESS!!!!! LESS THAN 1 MILE FROM MY SHOP ACTUALLY... IVE KNOWN THE OWNER FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS AND HAVE BEEN TO THEIR FACILITY MANY TIMES... THEY ARE TRULY MASTERS AT WHAT THEY DO AND THEIR FACILITY AND OPERATIONS IS UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!! IF YOUR GOIN STOCK HAVE THESE GUYS DO YOUR STUFF!!!

Return to “MEL Engine Aftermarket Induction”