Replacement Carb

Discuss MEL Engine Stock Carburetor Topics
62continental
Airman basic

Replacement Carb

Post by 62continental » Sun 23. May 2010, 08:03

I recently bought a 1962 Lincoln Continental, it has a MEL 430 7.0L with stock 2 BBL carburetor. It cranks good everytime, but does not like to idle and does not like to stop, and start again. Sounds like its going to die on me when I press the accelerator. Once I'm in the throttle, it runs good. I want to replace the carburetor and was looking for some suggestions. Should I replace with a like 2BBL or will a 4BBL give me better performance? What is the recommneded replacement? and where is a good place to find one at a reasonable price? What else could be causing the idling and starting issues?

Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks!

62continental
Airman basic

Re: Replacement Carb

Post by 62continental » Sun 23. May 2010, 13:19

The current carb is a Carter ABD. Is there anything out there that would be a like for like replacement? Rebuild kits are hard to come by, and I would rather have something new....

NicSanford
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: Keys, Saxophone, Clarinet, Drums, Bass

Re: Replacement Carb

Post by NicSanford » Sun 19. Jun 2011, 23:51

I just rebuilt the Carter ABD that came on the motor, and it seems to be working great. I got my rebuild kit from www.lincolnland.com for $55. I'd say it's worth it to rebuild the stock carb and keep it original. There's plenty of power, and it'll save you money at the gas pump staying with the 2BBL. You can check out vids of my rebuild in the Restoration Projects forum if you're interested...

Return to “MEL Engine Stock Carburetor”