Engine Blueprinting

Buy and sell or simply give away automotive literature like books, broshures, shop manuals, magazines etc.
Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Engine Blueprinting

Post by Theo » Tue 2. Feb 2010, 19:52

Hi everybody. I'd like to recommend one of my all time favorite automotive books. It's about blueprinting engines. No,...not blueprinting, it's about blueprinting. The word blueprinting has become a widely misused marketing slogan. In many instances the work that is being offered has little to do with blueprinting.
I read this book 15 years ago and must say that it has been the most influential book for me. Smokeys books are great but this one is an absolutely must have for all those who are planning to build up a race engine or simply a perfect engine.
Many steps described in this books go beyond the demands of an average customer, but it's a great resource to get a major understanding on engines and especially for getting a deep insite into pro machine shops and their tools. You will be able to make a difference between a good or not so good machine shop which is quite important from the very beginnings on when you start looking for the right shop.
If a shop can't offer machining and blueprinting steps as described in this book it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a bad shop. It's just that it can't do a few things as for lacking the tools.
In my experience a good machine shop doesn't necessarily mean that it has good engine builders. In some instances it makes sense to let a machine shop do the machining and let an other shop or person do the assembly iof it's not you who has the skills and knowledge to do the job.
In case of rebuilding an old Ford engine or a MEL you'll have to give the scene an eagle eye and do some research before you decide whom to give your engine.

Reading this book is a good foundation to get a picture of what can be done on your engine. Since blueprinting an engine can be outrageously expensive it's not a bad idea to learn the terminology of machinist language. You'll learn to precisely express yourself in front of the machinist. Besides being respected you're much more able to control the quality of work in the rebuilding process.
BTW I'm not associated w. the author,...wish I was ;)

Have fun reading this book.
http://www.amazon.ca/Step-Step-GT-Engin ... 1884089267
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Engine Blueprinting

Post by Theo » Wed 3. Feb 2010, 03:25

I've extensively edited the text above. You might want to reread if you want.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “Buy and Sell or just Recommend Automotive Literature (not stricktly MEL related)”