Engine to Trans Bolt Pattern

Discussion of MEL transmission related topics only.
blown66ltd
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: none

Engine to Trans Bolt Pattern

Post by blown66ltd » Sat 24. Oct 2009, 23:47

HI GUYS,IM A NEWBIE TO THIS FORUM.MY STRONG POINT IS FORD FE ENGINES AND I AM REPRODUCING ALL THE SOHC 427 SPECIALTY PARTS.
I NEED HELP RE BOLT PATTERN ON 430 ENGINE.I HAVE A CLIENT WITH A 65 LINCOLN-430 ENGINE AND LARGE CASE CAST IRON TRANSMISSION .THIS SETUP HAS 5 BOLTS ATTATCHING TRANS TO BELLHOUSING,A OVERALL FLEX PLATE DIA OF 14 1/4 INCHES AND HAS NO BELLHOUSING TO BLOCK BOLT JUST BELOW STARTER. 5BOLT BLOCK TO TRANS.
I HAVE SUPPLIED HIM A 430 (I THINK IT IS)AND TRANS FROM A 63 MODEL(GENERATOR FITTED)WITH A TRANS AND IT HAS THE NORMAL 6 BOLT FE PATTERN.CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF THE ENGINE I SUPPLIED REALLY IS A 430 OR WHEN THE BLOCK CHANGE TOOK PLACE.
BEST REGARDS PAUL MUNRO

Ted
Airman
Airman

Re: engine to trans bolt pattern

Post by Ted » Mon 26. Oct 2009, 12:09

Paul. The '58 thru '60 MEL engines had the full FE bellhousing bolt pattern. Starting in '61, it was modified to the newer pattern that is what I'll call an 'incomplete FE pattern' and essentially did away with the bellhousing bolt location below the FE starter location. Sounds like the engine in question was a '60 or earlier model 430, 410, or 383.
Ted Eaton --- http://www.eatonbalancing.com/ --
Big Engines are quick but it's hard to beat the fun that comes from running a normally aspirated Y-Block at 8.80's and 147 mph in the quarter.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: engine to trans bolt pattern

Post by Theo » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 06:45

Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Transmission”