Blower intake

Advertise or Sell MEL Related Engine Parts Privately.
Please use the buy and sell trans section for trans parts
mercmike
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: none

Blower intake

Post by mercmike » Sun 2. Dec 2018, 14:07

Anybody want to part with a blower intake for a MEL?

FrozenMerc
Airman basic

Re: Blower intake

Post by FrozenMerc » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 09:59

What are you going to use the engine for?

The reason I ask is that Weiand made the only "mass" produced MEL blower intakes, they pop up on E-bay from time to time, typically cost $1500 to $2500 depending on quality. The problem with the Weiand is that they were essentially a race only manifold. There is no provision for water or a thermostat with the Weiand intake. Also, the distributor needs to be relocated as it interferes with the Weiand intake. I am working on making a street friendly MEL blower intake with water, thermostat provisions, and distributor clearance, but I switched jobs and moved across the country this summer and have not got my shop back up and running.

There is a picture of the CAD model for the new intake I am working on getting produced atached. Hopefully I will have cast aluminum parts by the end of 2019. I also am willing to sell my Weiand once I get a functional prototype of new intake built.
Attachments
UG-3008_MEL671.jpg

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris430 » Thu 6. Dec 2018, 16:23

mercmike wrote:
Sun 2. Dec 2018, 14:07
Anybody want to part with a blower intake for a MEL?
Mike,
I posted this on another forum. Looks like there is a guy with one in the works.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/ ... pic=6751.0

FrozenMerc
Airman basic

Post by FrozenMerc » Fri 7. Dec 2018, 12:29

I am that guy. I am a member here too, but for what ever reason, the forum wouldn't let me make the same post here.

mercmike
Airman basic

Post by mercmike » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 14:07

Are you still going to make these? If so when will they be ready?
Mike

FrozenMerc
Airman basic

Post by FrozenMerc » Wed 19. Dec 2018, 11:19

I am going to make at least one for myself for sure. Hopefully I can get the first one made during this coming summer and verify that it will work and fit up correctly. After that I will decide if it makes sense to make more. The first couple will come off of sand cast molds with 3D-Printed cores to keep the tooling cost down, unfortunately, that also means the piece price will be higher.

Fordman1
Airman basic

Post by Fordman1 » Mon 7. Jan 2019, 15:14

Any updates? Approximate costs? Timelines? Exciting news that there is another option other than hoping to find one on ebay!

vanscooter
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by vanscooter » Tue 5. Oct 2021, 04:33

I know this is old but I have a blower intake only. Thanks, vanscooter@comcast.net

FrozenMerc
Airman basic

Post by FrozenMerc » Wed 16. Mar 2022, 14:29

This has taken way to long, but I am making progress. I got a 3D printed version of my blower intake a few weeks ago (and promptly set it onto a very dirty 430 MEL. I am in the progress of fitting it up on the engine, checking clearances, and then I will adjust the CAD model before sending it off for aluminum casting. I will focus on this project much more intently as soon as I finish building the engine in the 2nd photo, and recoup the funds from that expensive hunk of cast iron.

FrozenMerc
Airman basic

Post by FrozenMerc » Mon 21. Mar 2022, 18:29

I am still diligently working on it. In fact, I received a 3D printed plastic mock-up version of the intake that I can use for fit-up, flow testing, and the like earlier this winter. I have to finish up another engine project first in order to free up some working capital, but hopefully this summer I can finalize the design and get serious about getting a couple of these cast out of aluminum.

https://flic.kr/p/2n8YWjX

Return to “Ask for MEL Engine Parts”