cooling issues

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
jjtoney
Airman basic

cooling issues

Post by jjtoney » Tue 22. Mar 2011, 00:25

Hello, I was wondering what thermostat to use in my 66 lincoln. I live in arizona were it reaches 115 during the summer. I have all original parts to the engine etc. I recently just removed my radiator and resevoir to get it cleaned. I am running a 195 thermostat but my temperature reads at 210 degrees when i am driving it around town. I did notice the top radiator hose expands dramatically when it gets really hot. I was told to use a 180 degree temp thermostat to help on heat issue on the vehicle and in this dry hot climate. What like your commits and suggestions thanks josh oh ya should i run just coolant threw my whole system or should i do 50 percent water and 50 percent anti freeze thanks

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Re: cooling issues

Post by reijerlincoln » Wed 6. Apr 2011, 07:06

A 180 thermostat sounds like a good plan in that environment.

A few thoughts.
- If your temp gauge is original I wouldn't count on it displaying the actual/correct temperature.
- If your coolant hoses are over five years old, replace them no matter how they look.
- Never put straight water in the cooling system. Use an off the shelf 50-50% mix.

jjtoney
Airman basic

Post by jjtoney » Fri 29. Apr 2011, 23:14

Thanks man have all the cooling issue fixed recored my radiator and new houses plus 160 degree guage runs like a champ.

cyco_myco1
Airman basic

Post by cyco_myco1 » Tue 7. Jun 2011, 11:55

jjtoney wrote:Thanks man have all the cooling issue fixed recored my radiator and new houses plus 160 degree guage runs like a champ.
Where did you get your radiator recored? I am in CG and can go into PHX. Thanks, Mike

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”