New Fan

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
hawkdouble
Editorial Group
Editorial Group
Music instruments you're playing: Remington 5 shot

New Fan

Post by hawkdouble » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:22

New FanMay 14 2005 at 12:49 AM
(Login leeandy46)
from IP address 216

This is a little different�I just found a 1960 46'Chris Craft Connie with two beautiful MEL 430�s�. They ran about a year ago but after setting up I�ve lost compression in several cylinders on one and the other seems to be seized (starter won�t turn it over). They are installed backward with no pugs or wires. Where do I start to find #1 and firing order?
Thanks

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: New Fan

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:24

May 14 2005, 11:00 PM

Welcome
I am not too familiar with marine engines. Is it possible one may be reverse rotation?
NO. 1 Cylinder will be on the right front bank. You then have 1-2-3-4 front to rear on the right bank and 5-6-7-8 front to rear on the left bank. Distributor rotation (car engine) is CCW.
Engine Firing Order Is 15426378
Previous thread regarding seized engine;
http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 1107738280
There is some marine information on the first pages of this forum.

hawkdouble
Editorial Group
Editorial Group

Post by hawkdouble » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:25

May 15 2005, 6:18 PM
Kultulz
Thanks for the fast response. Very helpful info, and being I have the least knowledge of any poster here, this will sure get me started. You are also correct about the counter rotating engines. This gets me stumped! The engines are in backwards (the flywheel is in the front) but the left or Port engine shaft turns counter clockwise. The right or starboard engine turns clockwise. I'll just experiment and figure it out. The seized engine ran last year and I am pretty sure it is just condensation and slight rust on the rings (?). I just filled the cylinders with marvel mystery oil. What you think about using the flywheel teeth and a screwdriver to try to turn the engine? Also, I read the MEL marine history post by "Fefinaticp" and am sure I'm doing the right thing by keeping these MELs. Is this guy ever around anymore? Pictures soon!
Thanks again,
Mike

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:27

May 17 2005, 1:12 PM

Freeing Up Engine
Yes, let the solvent sit in the cylinders for a few days and then try to turn manually. Can you get a socket on the crank snout bolt? It would be much easier than trying to turn it with the ring gear. Try it turn a little-forward and backwards. Go easy on it. If she breaks free, put fresh oil and filter into, and with spark plugs out spin with starter motor to clear cylinders. If you have an oil pressure gauge, this would be a good time to see what pressure she pumps. Install plugs and fresh fuel and try to start her. Keep the RPM's low until you are sure of engine condition.
Don't forget, the backwards engine will have a reverse rotation cam, so don't get them mixed up if you have to tear them down.
Let us know...
Did the other poster leave an E-MAIL address?

hawkdouble
Editorial Group
Editorial Group

Post by hawkdouble » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:28

May 30 2005, 9:50 AM

Backwards?
Floatin but not goin,
I just trying to cut-out more guesswork. In a car was the Distributor in the front or back of the engine? Maybe my flywheels are mounted in the front. Thanks again....

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:30

Automotive- Distributor At Front Of Engine n/m

hawkdouble
Editorial Group
Editorial Group

Post by hawkdouble » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:31

May 31 2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks
They are in backwards,
The port engine will have to be pulled, I can�t free it up. The starboard runs but compression is extremely low. This boat is a gem and I�m going to have the MEL�s rebuilt to keep it all original.
Could you recommend a shop east of the Mississippi River?
Thanks again

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:33

June 1 2005, 12:24 AM

...whew..I have not come across any mention of a dedicated shop for these engines. It seems most have them redone locally. I think in your case, I would look at MARINE machine shops that are familiar with both MARINE and MEL.
If (and when) I have one redone, I will most likely load it up and take to HOLMAN (HOLMAN-MOODY) in Charlotte. Another consideration is Jasper engines. I have talked with their tech people and they seemed knowledgeable enough in them in that they need the Casting I.D. and Date Codes from the engine to research if they have everything needed to rebuild it (as there were so many changes in them the first few years).
About where are you? I am in the WDC METRO.

hawkdouble
Editorial Group
Editorial Group

Post by hawkdouble » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:36

June 1 2005, 5:27 AM

That's a great idea.
Wow, JASPER, why didn't I thank of that. Heck I'm in southern Indiana on the Ohio River. I'm going to talk to them today. Man keep the advice comming.

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 10. Oct 2010, 12:37

HEY LISTEN!
I forgot to add...
Make sure you tell them you want your engines rebuilt and not taken as a core.
There are several Casting I.D. Nos. on the left pan skirt and cylinder head(s). Make sure you record those (post them here) to make sure you have a balanced set and get the same stuff returned.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”