What cars came with a MEL engine? Please specify model / yea

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
alternate
Editorial Group
Editorial Group
Music instruments you're playing: Vuvuzela

Re: What cars came with a MEL engine? Please specify model /

Post by alternate » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 14:36

Response by "58mercmaniac"

"J" used in terms of MEL blocks

The "J" associated with MEL blocks was used only to identify cast components of the 430 block. The code used was "EDJ." Had nothing to do with performance. All 383 unique cast components used the code "EDG."

I'm greatly confused by the information quoted about the "FE" blocks and early '60s racing, or is it the source site author is confused. The FE was introduced in 1958 production, the same as the MEL block. It was often referred to as a baby MEL in those days. The FE initially came in two displacements, 332 c.i. and 352 c.i. The latter being the basis for the T-Bird engine and Police engines.

Robert McNamara while President of Ford, before he became Secretary of Defense in the Kennedy Administration, basically killed Ford's direct participation in all forms of racing. Ford re-entered the world of racing and racing sponsorships after luring Larry Shinota from GM's Corvette development group in the mid 1960s. Shinota was responsible or all the Ford "Boss" this and "Boss" that engines. Most notibly he was esponsible for the 428CJ (there's that "J" again) To create the 428CJ some 430/462 MEL parts went into a bored and stroked "FE" truck block. Such things as part of the rocker assemblies.

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: What cars came with a MEL engine? Please specify model /

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 14:36

"The "J" associated with MEL blocks was used only to identify cast components of the 430 block. The code used was "EDJ." Had nothing to do with performance. All 383 unique cast components used the code "EDG."

"J" was the engine code on the door plate for engine type identification, service and parts. A "J" in a 58 LINCOLN would identify it as a 430/400 whereas a "J" in the BIRD would identify it as a 430/350.

"I'm greatly confused by the information quoted about the "FE" blocks and early '60s racing, or is it the source site author is confused. The FE was introduced in 1958 production, the same as the MEL block. It was often referred to as a baby MEL in those days. The FE initially came in two displacements, 332 c.i. and 352 c.i. The latter being the basis for the T-Bird engine and Police engines."

The FE was introduced in three versions, 332 and 352 in the FORD line and the 361 in the EDSEL line, hence the designation FE (FORD-EDSEL). By "baby MEL", I wonder if (first time I heard the term) it referred to the E-400 (FE 361) as compared to the E-475 (MEL 410) in the EDSEL?

"Robert McNamara while President of Ford, before he became Secretary of Defense in the Kennedy Administration, basically killed Ford's direct participation in all forms of racing. Ford re-entered the world of racing and racing sponsorships after luring Larry Shinota from GM's Corvette development group in the mid 1960s. Shinota was responsible or all the Ford "Boss" this and "Boss" that engines. Most notibly he was esponsible for the 428CJ (there's that "J" again) To create the 428CJ some 430/462 MEL parts went into a bored and stroked "FE" truck block. Such things as part of the rocker assemblies."

FORD returned to racing in 1960 with the introduction of the 352/360HP FE (Holman-Moody raced the TBIRD with a 430 in 1959). They (FORD) were about the only car manufacturer that went along with the 1957 AMA verdict calling for less powerful cars to be built for the highway. This hurt FORD sales tremendously.

Many different facets of both engine series are the same, notably the valvetrain. The CJ was built mostly from parts already in the bins (another fascinating period for FORD).

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”