MEL Engine Series Combustion Chamber & Piston Design

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MEL Engine Series Combustion Chamber & Piston Design

Post by Theo » Fri 7. May 2010, 02:13

Rick, it would be interesting to view a copy of the specs. sheet that came w. those pistons.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Fri 7. May 2010, 11:12

Theo,
In an effort not to confuse folks, I think I'll wait until we have the results. No sense in continually putting up specs that don't pan out. ;)

All the best...
Rick

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 8. May 2010, 03:30

Absolutely right. Off course evry engine block might have different block height too. Yes, let's wait and see.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Mon 21. Jun 2010, 01:22

Additional supplier info from another forum:

Jordan31gaw wrote:Hello to all enthusiasts; I thought I would pass along some information for everyone , to help in the process of getting our lincolns back on the road. I have a 61 vert in the middle of restoration , and I just go the engine back a month ago from the builder. I have heard so much about the piston design and how important it is. So when I had to get custom pistons made , my builder used a custom piston manufacturer named Diamond pistons (http://www.diamondracing.net). They took an original piston and made an exact match with the size increase from boring. After getting them back (and 850 dollars later )they were put in the engine and everything turned out perfect. I thought this should help someone with getting their 430 rebuilt properly. Good luck and check it out with Diamond. I wouldnt second guessing doing this again. Worth every penny...jordan

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 15. Jul 2010, 15:53

Here's where we're at. The engine has been put back together for the second time. While the compression came out good the hp results were not what I was expecting. On this post I am attaching the cam, piston, engine spec's, and some photos. The next post will have the dyno results and more photo's.
CamCard.jpg
PistonSpecs.jpg
EngineSpec1.jpg
EngineSpec_2.jpg
EngineSpec_3.jpg
DSC02670.jpg
DSC02424.jpg
DSC02426.jpg
DSC02438.jpg
DSC02683.jpg

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 15. Jul 2010, 16:02

As stated the dyno results were not what I expected. But after talking to others and doing some research I have been satisfied. The next step will be the rear wheel hp dyno after the car is complete. Attached are the results, more photo's, and a link that helped me to understand the results.
Link=http://ateupwithmotor.com/automotive-te ... power.html
And a quote from my restorer
It claims in the late 50's, some hp numbers could be off by 25-30%. We're off by 17.391%. So I assume parasites such as water pump, fuel pump, power steering, generator, manifolds vs. headers, weather conditions etc. accounted for most of the 60 horses lost on the dyno. Maybe next time a little more cam can help us close the gap.
On the plus side the motor runs as smooth as silk across the board.
The engine will be taken apart again this week and next for painting and more photo's. There is also a video of the dyno run coming!
InitialRun4.jpg
Pull07.jpg
SAM_0561.jpg
SAM_0569.jpg
SAM_0568.jpg
SAM_0555.jpg
SAM_0565.jpg

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 22. Jul 2010, 10:35

The dyno video.....Turn up the volume!

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 23. Jul 2010, 15:17

Shelby#18 wrote:As stated the dyno results were not what I expected. But after talking to others and doing some research I have been satisfied. The next step will be the rear wheel hp dyno after the car is complete. Attached are the results, more photo's, and a link that helped me to understand the results.
Link=http://ateupwithmotor.com/automotive-te ... power.html
And a quote from my restorer
It claims in the late 50's, some hp numbers could be off by 25-30%. We're off by 17.391%. So I assume parasites such as water pump, fuel pump, power steering, generator, manifolds vs. headers, weather conditions etc. accounted for most of the 60 horses lost on the dyno. Maybe next time a little more cam can help us close the gap.
On the plus side the motor runs as smooth as silk across the board.
The engine will be taken apart again this week and next for painting and more photo's. There is also a video of the dyno run coming!
Hey Rick, I had the time to read your latest addition to this thread only by now. Busy days. Thanx for the interesting data sheets and the meticulous continuation on the topic.
I had been knowing about how HP rating was calculated in the U.S., so I'm not surprised to read the numbers on your dyno slip. In fact I think they are healthy numbers. I was expecting even less HP. In Europe HP ratings were traditionally calculated w. almost all parasites included. Except of the tranny to wheel section I think. There will be a significant loss of HP when calculating at the wheel. But hey, that's still more than enough power to make that ship fly.

Your camshaft shows typical stock Ford specs. for pass. cars.
It's a sweet smooth idling cam that will give you a hard time to tell your engine from running or not. It looks very similar to my T-Bird's stock cam. Together w. the stock Autolite (Fire cracker) the engine is almost idling w/o a sound. Very convenient to the passenger. In city traffic situation, I more than once ran into restarting the engine while it was already running. ;)
This cam will probably not benefit 100% from your E-Bock carb performance potential but it won't hurt too. I would not recommend going a step up w. the cam, as almost all moderate after market cams are designed for less compression engines. They will ping and be prone to detonation problems. To compensate for that you'll have to get a much bigger cam w. a wider overlap and a duration of about 220 at 50. But then you'll have a rougher idle, less torque and more fuel consumption. Not sure if that's what you want on your cruiser.
Anyway, very cool photos and very valuable information for the MEL community. Thanx again for your time and contribution.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 23. Jul 2010, 15:20

Shelby#18 wrote:The dyno video.....Turn up the volume!
Also take into account that horse power might improve as w. the time the rings break in .
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post by Treinarts » Wed 28. Jul 2010, 13:20

I am not really surprised by the HP numbers, although I must admit the torque numbers are disappointing.
Now I will have to seriously consider putting mine on a dyno when I finish it. I have to know. TJR

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”