MEL Engine Series Combustion Chamber & Piston Design

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Re: MEL Engine Series Combustion Chamber & Piston Design

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Mon 25. Jan 2010, 02:43

Actually, the diagram is a computer spreadsheet. All the things that the piston company can do, we can do at home, except for calculations on piston deck thickness. This is a piston shape and combustion chamber/compression ratio program. The picture is just a representation of the formula
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 25. Jan 2010, 05:09

Wow, that's interesting. What's the name of this software? I have a little DOS based program. It is free and has been written by some guy who spread it in the net years ago. I can't remember wee it originally came from. It can do quite some things when fed w. data, but it can<'t do the MEL calculations. That would require additional human brain work.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Tue 26. Jan 2010, 05:05

I think the name of the software is Dr D A Jardine. :mrgreen: My dad designed the spreadsheet as far as I know. He is a retired cobol scientist, who taught computing science at Queen's University in Kingston for 35 years, then went on to write a Y2K cobol solution that was bought by IBM. My math issues always go to him :mrgreen: I could probably get the technical set up from him, although I wouldn't understand a bit of it.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 26. Jan 2010, 06:33

Wow how interesting, COBOL development was started in the late fifties I think. Your dad is a pioneer. I like the drawing, because it also points out that a pistons is not perfectly round but in fact an oval design.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Tue 26. Jan 2010, 15:06

Note by admin: This post has been extracted, edited and merged into this thread . The original thread is here
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14
Please post further comments regarding pistons design and combustion chamber in this thread.

1959 430 cid MEL Piston casting numbers
Piston: EDJ B9LE

Piston picture:
Piston1959001.jpg
1959 430 Piston detail
Piston1959003.jpg
1959 Piston top 430 detail

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Re: Re: MEL Engine Series Combustion Chamber & Piston Design

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 27. Jan 2010, 15:26

Note by admin: This post has been extracted, edited and merged into this thread . The original thread is here
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14
Please post further comments regarding pistons design and combustion chamber in this thread.

Interesting photo. If you look at that piston top and the one I posted out of the Colony Park, they do look different. I've contacted my restorer to see if we have a better photo with the numbers on it. Someones thumb is covering the numbers on the posted photo.

Your piston
mel_piston.jpg
My piston out of my Colony Park (left piston)
LAFOURTUNE028.jpg

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Re: MEL Engine Series Combustion Chamber & Piston Design

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 27. Jan 2010, 16:24

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14

My machinist still has my Colony Park's original pistons fortunately. We'll get photo's from every angle soon. Also the con rod lengths and photo's.

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 27. Jan 2010, 16:28

Well we have poor results on the pistons. From the new pistons we received we only had a 9.625 compression. We are now going back and getting another set from a different supplier. Guys when this is done hopefully it will save some of you the time and trouble we have been going through. Delays, delays, delays... It looks like we'll have completion sometime this summer of the restoration.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 27. Jan 2010, 17:09

Sorry to hear about your new pistons not being correct in compression ratio. Spending mucho $$ and getting second best sux. Who went wrong? Did you provide the piston manufacturer with numbers based on measurements taken or did you send in an orig. piston?
Anyway the 9.625 :1 compression of the new pistons seem to be usable with todays fuel quality. You won't have ping problems typically associated w. higher ratios from 10:1 and up. Also keep in mind that many aftermarket street cams are designed to work with ratios of 9,5:1. Short duration high lift street and RV cams are the ones that propel old dinosaurs from one traffic light to the other.
Are you gonna sell those slugs?
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Shelby#18 » Wed 27. Jan 2010, 19:28

I'm not sure what went wrong since it was handled by the first engine builder. We are now on number two. Our goal is 10.1 CR for the hp., seeing as the the Colony Park is not the lightest car around.
It isn't costing me anything for the replacement. The restoration shop I'm using is paying for the new pistons. They have been really stand up guys with anything that has gone south on their end.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”