New guy here needs some help please pushrod info 383

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Old-Stf Cycle
Airman basic

New guy here needs some help please pushrod info 383

Post by Old-Stf Cycle » Sun 1. Aug 2010, 15:32

Looking for a set of new pushrods for 1960 383 merc and or length info please.
Thanks
Mike
Thanks, Mike

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: New guy here needs some help please pushrod info 383

Post by KULTULZ » Mon 2. Aug 2010, 01:33

Try here- -EGGE MACHINE COMPANY-

If they don't have them, get back and I will give you measurements on FE replacements.

Old-Stf Cycle
Airman basic

Post by Old-Stf Cycle » Tue 3. Aug 2010, 19:26

Thanks for the resource. I actually got a pushrod by perfect circle that measures 9.77 but the rods I pulled out of the motor are about .025 thous shorter? I'm a bit concerned about this but the motor is running great. All the rods and lifters are spining nice however the longer one dose spin a bit slower than the others. I purchased this 60 merc m cruizer that ran like crap. Found a bent pushrod.
Thanks, Mike

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 3. Aug 2010, 20:06

Shorter push rods are usually used to compensate for lower deck height due to machined blocks. Sometimes they were put in error. You never know what kid had played w. the block before.
Check for the correct pre load on the lifters. If it's not correct, I'd suggest purchasing adj. FE engine series rocker arms from an after market manufacturer like Harland Sharp for instance or getting stock FE adjustable rocker arms. They had been widely used on trucks and police vehicles.
Using cup/ball end type of push rods is obligate w. those. But they are not very critical in length. You'll be able to adjust to perfect factory specs. pre-load on the lifter.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Old-Stf Cycle
Airman basic

Post by Old-Stf Cycle » Sat 21. Aug 2010, 21:27

Thanks for the info. My email dose not notify me of a responce so sorry for the delay. So there is an adjustable pushrod availble? that would be pretty slick. the motor is without a doubt stock untoched. I have a few problems to work out but I'm in love with this car. The radiator and fan have no shroud and I'm thinking it was removed unless the car never had one? I'd also like to put a 160 thermostat in it. hell I'd like an entire motor rebuild kit just to have it. Previous owner put some cheap 20" wheels on it and I would like to put the stock back on with perhaps an earlier merc hub cap which ever looks best. Here is my car. Cheers !
http://oldstfcycleshop.blogspot.com/201 ... -ride.html
Thanks, Mike

Old-Stf Cycle
Airman basic

Post by Old-Stf Cycle » Sat 21. Aug 2010, 21:31

opps my error. adjustable rockers... YES I really want these ! they fit the mel shafts ?
Thanks, Mike

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sat 21. Aug 2010, 23:08

Did you actually measure lifter pre-load with the new push-rods? It may be they are within specs and no adjustable rocker arms are necessary.

FORD offered three different rod lengths in this engine series to arrive at proper pre-load.

Nice MERC BTW... :D

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sun 22. Aug 2010, 07:49

Old-Stf Cycle wrote:Thanks for the info. My email dose not notify me of a responce so sorry for the delay.
No problem. You can check the e-mail notification option in your user control panel. Highly recommended.

Old-Stf Cycle wrote:So there is an adjustable pushrod availble? that would be pretty slick.
As Kultulz said. Check the pre load in your current configuration first. It might be O.K. or not. Besides the adjustability to correct specs. the advantage of the adjustable rocker arms is that they can be used with solid lifters too.

Nice car. I like the unusual rear post.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”