Differences Between Early and Late 430s

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
mrevildoer
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: air guitar

Differences Between Early and Late 430s

Post by mrevildoer » Mon 12. Jul 2010, 19:23

I've been tossing around the idea of using an early (pre 60-61) 430 for my drag project. I have a '65 now, and I have a matching set of Isky 1.5:1 rockers and roller cam for it. Also have the card for it. My question is, what are the differences between the years of the 430s?

The bellhousing pattern has been well-covered (biggest reason why I want to run the early block...toploader), and I understand the sizes on the cam journals are a little different, but are there any other significant reasons why I shouldn't go for it? I assume I can get a cam ground to the Isky profile with the proper-sized journals for an early block.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian Kilburn

1956 International S-110 (Daily)
1963 Galaxie 500XL
1963 Comet A/Gas Vintage Drag Car w/ Hilborn Injected MEL 430

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Differences Between Early and Late 430s

Post by Theo » Tue 13. Jul 2010, 18:37

Hi Brian, I'm only the admin, not exactly a MEL expert. Others will have to chime in. Early 430 MEL engines have a higher compression. The valve diameters and port sizes are bigger and the pistons are different too.
You might read a little in the knowledge Base and study the engine data. Typically many of the forum participants are busy in their garages during the summer season, so it takes a little patience until questions get answered. Hang around though.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

mrevildoer
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: air guitar

Post by mrevildoer » Wed 14. Jul 2010, 16:23

Thanks for the answer. I've been doing some studying around and it seems the oil passages are a little different too. It's easier to starve an early MEL if you don't take the extra time to drill them out. I'm down for higher compression and bigger valves (was gonna have Slover put the biggest valves in he can), so that's a plus.

I'm not really that knowledgable in Hilborn injection yet, but it seems bigger ports may be a better thing if you're trying to force as much air and fuel in as possible. However, air velocity will slow with bigger ports but you can influence that with the stacks on the injector bodies. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Thanks again,
Brian
Brian Kilburn

1956 International S-110 (Daily)
1963 Galaxie 500XL
1963 Comet A/Gas Vintage Drag Car w/ Hilborn Injected MEL 430

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 15. Jul 2010, 09:38

Brian, I've excessively modified FE oil passages, oversize bored and tapped them, even rerouted them to side oiler specs. In most instances it's overdoing things. I wasn't aware that MEL engines needed it too, but I haven't come across too many people who were building them for serious drag apps. In most instances it is sufficient to use a high volume oil pump instead of a high pressiore oil pump. If you feel you need the high pressure type of oil, keep in mind that the oil pump drive shaft needs to be stronger. ARP are selling those. Not sure if they stock. MEL size shafts. Maybe you can use or modify s. other engine's arp shaft to fit the MEL. I haven't been there. You also need to consider that the distributer gear drive may shear off under the high pressure oil pump. I think "Performance Distributer" sell reinforced Distributors for that purpose.

As for air fuel velocity and big runners, with fuel injection that's virtually no issue at all. A fuel injected engine gets a perfect mix pumped in by the injectors. That is the case especially if the injectors are placed closely to the valves. Long stacks are not needed. Just use what fits best. Guess the short ones are O.K.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

56vicky430
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by 56vicky430 » Sat 21. Aug 2010, 21:03

I have a 58 super marauder that I'm prepping for a build. The main reason I like the 60 and older is because of the bell pattern. I bought an old FE Ansen Scatter shield bell and it looks really cool bolted to the engine. You can't do that with a 61 and later. I'm sure there are improvements in the later engines but if you are trying too run a stick shift, I don't see how you can do it...unless a lot of expense and rigging comes into play.

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sat 21. Aug 2010, 22:56

Just keep in mind that the camshaft setup and drive is different from 1960 to 1961.

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Treinarts » Thu 26. Aug 2010, 08:33

A late cam can be used in the early blocks by turning down the cam journals. Oregon cams does this for 40 dollars. I suppose any good machine shop can also do that. Cam tech has changed greatly in 50 years, and new patterns can be ground on old cores. So put some thought into your application. Consider a cam button to prevent cam walk in the early engines. Same with piston tech. I have seen some Wisco pistons on the old MEL forum that were very impressive. Valve reliefs big enough for any cam. Ford FE high pressure pump solves any oiling issues, but does require the oversized quill shaft. Good article in recent Hot Rod Mag about Hilborn. Can't really use it on street car. May be EFI converson out soon. If only a drag car, try Slover's manifold adapters and run a newer 460 ford intake. A wide variety there. A single four barrel carb set up is hard to beat. For the money, it is the best choice. Good luck. TJR

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”