Smoke from Oil Filler

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
channelinspire
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: Does my iphone count?

Smoke from Oil Filler

Post by channelinspire » Mon 10. May 2010, 09:05

I have searched and I am not seeing much here. I understand how to change the PCV valve on newer cars, but my 1964 Lincoln is all new to me. I am seeing smoke from the oil filler cap under load. I realize that this is usually blow by, but the engine only has 51,000 miles. I am hoping for something that doesn't require a rebuild and having the oil filler on the block instead of on top of the heads is throwing me off a little. Are there any other causes for this besides worn rings? Anything I can test besides compression (i'll check that this evening and post results).

I just bought the Lincoln and would hate to have to pull the engine this soon after getting it.

Thanks
Jeremy

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Smoke from Oil Filler

Post by Theo » Mon 10. May 2010, 17:50

Jeremy, your 1000 Miles fresh engine hasn't been completely broken in. The rings haven't seated completely, so blow by is probably normal at this time.
However, it's hard to tell from the distance. Like always there are a few things that can go wrong during an engine rebuild.
Do a valve stem seal check by accellerating the engine in neutral and decellerate it in a sudden. If it blows smoke during the decelleration, the valve stem seals are the cause.
Good luck.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Tue 11. May 2010, 23:49

Theo, to be sure, his engine has 51.000 not 1000 miles on it.

Jeremy, is yours an open or closed crankcase ventilation system?
1964 LINC 430 4V PCV.jpg

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 12. May 2010, 04:54

reijerlincoln wrote:Theo, to be sure, his engine has 51.000 not 1000 miles on it.
Oooh!!! To me the number looks like 1000. Jeremy, can you please improve your cacography ;)
caco.jpg
caco.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 6811 times
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Wed 12. May 2010, 05:05

Trendy pair of spectacles! :ugeek:

channelinspire
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: Does my iphone count?

Post by channelinspire » Wed 12. May 2010, 13:46

Sorry for my bad handwriting. :)

I have a closed PCV system. I don't think the filler cap is sealing very well at all. Could it be as simple as that?

The car had been sitting mostly for the last 10 years. The previous owner took it for a drive about once a month. The gas is probably a little old. It was pretty low and I was stupid. I topped it off hoping to dilute the bad gas instead of fulling the tank and draining it.

I was actually seeing the smoke in the passenger floor board as well. It seemed to be under load, but not heavy load. I could open up the throttle and it would go away. Coasting caused no smoke either. I was told I should try Motor Honey and did. It seems to have helped. This morning I drove it to work. That is about 12 miles with 10 of them on a tollway. I let the car warm up and left for work. The car was plenty warm when I merged on to the tollway a mile from my house. I saw quite a bit of smoke in the passenger compartment. I opened up the throttle and the smoke went away. It was also gone while coasting. After a mile or so it went away completely and never came back. Sounds like it needed to warm up more but wait there's more...

I drove it to lunch (about 2 miles from work and all city streets) no smoke coming or going. :?:

I just drove it home on the tollway and no smoke at all. :?:

I am interested to see what happens tomorrow morning.

Thanks for reading!

Jeremy

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 12. May 2010, 14:38

Hope it is gone tomorrow. In German Land we use to say, "Take it to the Autobahn and blow the scensored out of it". That's a must do standard fix that works often enough. But on those old relics there is quite a chance that you might have an oil leak somewhere in the cylinder head area. Insufficiant sealing head gasket in the oil channel area or valve stem guide wear.
51000 Miles is not much but dependent on how thoroughful the engine had been rebuilt things can happen.-
If you have a valve stem guide problem the engine will smoke for a while until it gets normal operating temperature.
Let's see tomorrow when the engine is still cold. Hope the best
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”