MEL 430 in a flatbottom v-drive boat

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
64Bezer
Airman basic

MEL 430 in a flatbottom v-drive boat

Post by 64Bezer » Sat 24. Apr 2010, 20:10

Hi. I'm new here. Two years ago I bought a 1964 Biesemeyer flatbottom v-drive boat with a 430. My dad and I have been restoring it since and we are very pleased with it. I have some questions about what they engine is from. Were marine engines different from street engines. Are the casting numbers different? How much oil should it hold? We just changed the oil and only 5 quarts came out (filter included). If it's a street engine, then it would take 6 quarts so that is what we put back in. But, if it is a marine engine and they take more, then I need to add more. I would use the dipstick, but is was a pos and leaked all over. We had to make a new tube and dock a new dipstick as a replacement. Our marks for oil level reflect the 5 quarts that were in her, so I don't think that is even correct. Are there any visual references that I should look for on the pan to tell what the oil capacity is? Thanks in advance for your help.
-Rob
Post4.jpg
Post4.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 430 in a flatbottom v-drive boat

Post by Theo » Sun 25. Apr 2010, 12:17

Welcome to the forum Rob,
there are a few experts that sure will be happy to talk boats and MEL with ya. Just wait for the "Triple C" to chime in. I just wanted to say Hi and thanks for the photos of your nice boat.
As for the dip stick, watch out for the right length and right position marks. Make sure were it originally came from. There might be different length sticks and pans from Pass. cars, trucks, boats (?) etc. The dipstick is not always matching the pan. And even the boat dealers and restorers might just mix things together that don't match well.
Meanwhile you might find this thread interesting http://www.ford-mel-engine.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=296
Have fun
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”