LPG conversion to a MEL 462

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

LPG conversion to a MEL 462

Post by reijerlincoln » Mon 29. Dec 2008, 07:13

After filling up my tank for the first I broke out in tears. Petrol is very expensive in The Netherlands. I decided to never fill up my tank again and to have car converted to run on LPG which costs a third of the price of regular petrol. LPG or Liquefied petroleum gas (also called LP Gas and autogas) is a mixture of hydrocarbon gases (propane 60% & butane 40%) used as a fuel in heating appliances and vehicles. I believe it's used in the US mostly for city buses and big rigs.

There were so many rules and restrictions I decided to have the installation done by a professional. The timing had to be adjusted (needs to be retarded for LPG). We also installed a Pertronix Ignitor and Flamethrower coil. We also had to use colder spark plugs because LPG burns at a higher temperature than petrol does. It also burns much cleaner. It will actually 'clean' carbon deposits in cylinder heads and the oil takes a lot longer to blacken. On the downside mpg and compression (and thus oomph) drop slightly but I haven't been able to tell the difference.

This is the most noticeable change under the hood. It serves to evaporate the pressurized LPG using heat from the cooling system. Not pretty to look at but nothing permanent either (should petrol prices magically drop).

Most American classics here in Holland run on LPG. The IMPCO installation is probably most used for this. However, these won't fit my Continental because the hood won't be able to close. So we opted for this (very old school) ring that sits in the air filter on top of the carb. This way I get to keep my air filter & won't have to cut into the frame of the hood. Some material still had to be removed from the carb and the ring had to be changed in some respects also.

Two 55 litre LPG tanks in the trunk:

The LPG system has been maintenance free so far. The car starts up immediately. On the high way doing 60 the MPG is just under 17. In a residential area mpg drops to around 8.2 There are so many speed bumps, roundabouts and traffic lights in Holland you won't believe it.

Here's a little arithmetic i did in February 2008.

Petrol is $10 a gallon in Holland.
If you I had to fill up with petrol, I'd pay $242.21(USD)
That's why I had mine converted to run on LPG. Filling it up costs $72.55 (USD)
That's a $169.66 difference.

Petrol:
24 gallons/109.08 liters X 1,515 euros a litre = 165,26 euros ($242.21)
1 Euro (EUR) = 1.47 US Dollars (USD)
LPG:
19.8 gallons/90 liters x 0.55 euros a liter = 49.50 euros ($72.55)
1 Euro (EUR) = 1.47 US Dollars (USD)

Now of course my '64 didn't come with an LPG system installed. It cost me $1500 euros or $2198.40 to have it installed. Still, I break even after 12.95 fill ups. In case you're wondering; a car that runs on LPG has a more expensive road tax. LPG is therefore economically interesting if you drive 12500 miles or more a year. Cars over 25 years are exempt of road tax :mrgreen:.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: LPG conversion to a MEL 462

Post by Theo » Mon 29. Dec 2008, 08:26

Thank you for sharing this interesting post about your conversion.
reijerlincoln wrote:On the high way doing 60 the MPG is just under 17. In a residential area mpg drops to around 8.2
Are you talking about miles/ Gallon or liters per 100 Km?
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Mon 29. Dec 2008, 09:25

Theo, I meant it does just under 17 mpg at high way speed of 60 mph. In a residential area it drops to around 8.2 mpg.

Obviously, I drive like a little old lady. :roll:

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 29. Dec 2008, 10:53

reijerlincoln wrote:Theo, I meant it does just under 17 mpg at high way speed of 60 mph. In a residential area it drops to around 8.2 mpg.

Obviously, I drive like a little old lady. :roll:
That's a good milage for a car that heavy.
On the Autobahn my 390 powered T- Bird at appx. 4400 lbs of weight has a milage of 18,22 miles/ Gallon @ 60 miles/ hr. I feed it with european so called Super Plus gas. I use an MSD Box, a Mallory distributor and a mild towing cam.

BTW. In Germany gas prizes have considerally dropped recently. I paid 4,20 Euros/ Gallon 2 days ago. It translates to 6 $ a Gallon.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by reijerlincoln » Tue 30. Dec 2008, 02:41

It has gone down to +/- $6.50 in The Netherlands. But prices will go up again.... :|

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by reijerlincoln » Thu 8. Jan 2009, 07:17

Sir Spamalot seems to have joined the forum. :?

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”