MEL cylinder head flow

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
plovett
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: I have a mandolin, but need someone to teach me how to play it.

MEL cylinder head flow

Post by plovett » Sun 28. Feb 2010, 09:03

Anybody know where I can find some MEL cylinder head flow charts? Stock or ported? Or any general info on what they flow? What castings are better than others? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks,

paulie

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MEL cylinder head flow

Post by Theo » Sun 28. Feb 2010, 11:40

Hey Paulie, glad to see you here my friend. I have no flow charts and I guess they're very rare. The 1958 cylinder heads have huge intake runners. The ports are gigantic. I think they are a bit taller than the tallest FE intake ports.
I believe from 1959 on the Intake ports were downsized for better velocity.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

plovett
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: I have a mandolin, but need someone to teach me how to play it.

Post by plovett » Tue 2. Mar 2010, 18:04

Thanks Theo! I was hoping to build some cyberspace MEL's in my dyno simulator. But it's all for naught without flow numbers. I'm guessing the MEL has quite a bit of power potential even without aftermarket support. The '58 heads sound interesting. If I find some info I will post it here.

paulie

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 2. Mar 2010, 18:20

Yes, that would be interesting. The good thing about the flat chamberless MEL heads is that they have no restriction from valve shrouding. I assume that they have similar flow characteristics as tall port 427 heads.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”