couple questions about water diverters

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Low58Corsair
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: used to play Trumpet in Highschool

couple questions about water diverters

Post by Low58Corsair » Mon 28. Dec 2009, 18:43

I'm rebuilding the engine for a 58 edsel and got a couple questions. The engine I'm tearing down is a original 58 E475, yet it had diverters in it rather than the factory thermostats, however the diverters are far from reusable and I've read that the factory thermostats are really not reccomended so I was wondering who sells the diverters and is there a certain direction they should be aimed when installed? if they're made, what size and material should I use for the pipe and end cap?

thanks to all who reply in advance, I'd be very confused without this board.

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Re: couple questions about water diverters

Post by reijerlincoln » Wed 30. Dec 2009, 03:13

You mean the two water diverters and the two little bronze block thermostats that are behind either end of the water pump? To be sure, they are two different parts. The water diverters divert the flow of coolant to the cylinder heads. The (two little bronze block) thermostats regulate when the coolant starts to flow. Copied form a post by KULTULZ:
What these thermostats were designed to do was to allow coolant to more quickly heat around the cylinder barrels (no flow) and as it heated, the block thermostats would open allowing that heated coolant to flow into the rear of the intake manifold. The divertors supplied directed coolant flow until the thermostats opened.

The MEL was designed without an exhaust heat riser valve (exhaust heat under the intake manifold carb plenum) and was heated by coolant.

As the design progressed, LINC went to a coolant operated choke and finally an exhaust heat operated choke, negating the need of the special cooling system thermostats.
block thermostats03.JPG
block thermostats.JPG
They were dropped by 1963 I've read. Not sure if it's the same with your year motor, but for the MEL 430 used in the '61-'65 Continental it is now advised to remove and not replace the two little bronze block thermostats. The diverters you do need. They're around $90 for the 430 & 462 at Lincoln Land and Baker's Auto (pressed brass or copper I believe). The mechanic who rebuilt my 462 made a set out of old pieces of steel tubing.

Low58Corsair
Airman
Airman

Post by Low58Corsair » Sat 9. Jan 2010, 11:19

I was talking about the diverters themselves. mine did come with the same cooling setup as your 430. the thermostats had already been removed sometime before so I'm just going to leave those out but my diverters are toast, all crumbly and falling apart. Thanks for the sources though, that's exactly what I was looking for since I need new ones.

The illustration on lincoln land shows installing them with the opening aiming straight up, this is correct?

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Sat 9. Jan 2010, 11:42

That I don't know, sorry.

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Fri 12. Mar 2010, 08:38

Low58Corsair wrote:
I was talking about the diverters themselves. mine did come with the same cooling setup as your 430. the thermostats had already been removed sometime before so I'm just going to leave those out but my diverters are toast, all crumbly and falling apart. Thanks for the sources though, that's exactly what I was looking for since I need new ones.

The illustration on lincoln land shows installing them with the opening aiming straight up, this is correct?
This is late but very important. The diverters must be installed as per the manual illustration (there will be an open coolant passage directly above that feeds the head(s)). This ensures constant coolant flow to the cylinder heads and intake manifold. The openings left by the removal of the block thermostats directs coolant flow directly to and around the cylinder barrels, thereby negating the needed flow to the cylinder heads.
Diverter Diagram.gif
This is a very specialized design and must not be compromised.

Low58Corsair
Airman
Airman

Post by Low58Corsair » Mon 22. Mar 2010, 11:34

that's what I figured once I pulled the cylinder heads off and saw the openings. I was guessing the diverters should be angled towards the heads so the water flow is directly aimed at the cylinder head openings. that sound about right? 8-)

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman
Music instruments you're playing: The Kazoo

Post by buddy67lincoln » Mon 26. Nov 2012, 05:30

Good info as mine need replaced too... try http://www.ebay.com/itm/140708923097?ss ... 1423.l2649 $45 for the pair in aluminum. Here is a photo of mine. I did not remove them yet to see exactly what angle, if any, that the openings are on. I can take a good photo before I remove with the flash on and see. Looks to be straight up in the drawing KULTULZ posted.
Attachments
IMG_0082.JPG
John Lyman
1964 Continental Convertible (actually working on this one!)
1967 Continental Coupe (bucket of rust)
1966 Continental Coupe (mild custom some day???)
1967 Continental 4 door (30,000 miles, part car)
1967 Continental 4 door (scrapped)

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”