Deck Height

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Re: Deck Height

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Sun 13. Dec 2009, 16:43

The engine has not been decked, and the rods are standard length, and in pristine condition. The crank was polished in the last rebuild, but that wasn't sufficient, it will get turned .010 We have bored the block .037 over, and left the last 3 thou for fitting the pistons.

The last spec I need is the deck height, and I can get into the process of ordering pistons... spoken to Brian Nutter by email, and these are all the specs he has requested.

Thanks, this is a big help. I know dan has measuring devices for deck heights, just unsure of how to measure the angled deck.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sun 13. Dec 2009, 17:13

It's not very common with regular machine shops, but some race engine builders and quite some big engine rebuilders use those BHJ Tools or similar tools.
On a 90° engine measurements are a routine step and with the right Tools it's done in just a pip of time. It typically looks like it is shown here.
http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_content/ ... xt/dhm.php

Off course BHJ can make you a custom block true Kit that works perfectly with a MEL, but that's a machine shop investment that most mangers probably wouldn't consider to be a wise buy. But on the other hand it might pay for an engine rebuilder who specializes in specialty engines.
BTW, I own torque plates for a MEL.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=96

They are still at Kultulz home address. I once had them shipped to him by an ebay seller but never asked him to go through the hassle sending them to me. I just didn't need them all these years.
If you want, I can lend them to you, so you can let your machinist use them for the hone process. Using torque plates on these old cast dinos is essential.
Just let me know and I can ask Kultulz to send them to you.
In fact they should have been used during the boring process too. You might discuss this w. your machinist if he thinks that it still makes sense to use them just for the final honing.

As we're at it. Also ask him if he could use those "Sunnen" plateau honing brushes for the final clean up after the honing. I was very surprised to see how much honing residuals those brushes were able to brush off the bores.
Ask him if he wouldn't mind to buy them if they don't have them in the shop.
My buddy who runs a machine shop ordered those after I had requested them and ever since uses them on every single block that leaves the shop.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Mon 14. Dec 2009, 15:12

Thanks Theo... Whatever happened to Kutulz? He seems to just have stopped posting everywhere, not just here..

I will pm you my address, and if you need that torque plate shipped to you, I can do that in the future.

I am slowly working away on the rest of the engine... look at the 430 thread

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 14. Dec 2009, 16:33

Peter, regarding the M-E-L torque plates, I sent Kultulz an e-mail just a few minutes ago.
I hope he's all O.K. and that he's not having any health issue. If this would be the case and he's not able to send the plate this would be understandable.
I also wrote him that he's missed a lot and that we will hopefully gonna read some of his post soon. I think most or allmost everyone who knows him feels this way too.
Let's see.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Tue 5. Jan 2010, 10:27

Okay, so I now have that figure.

Deck height : 10.170 inches, or 258.318 mm

The true deck height at exhaust and intake would be calculated based on the 10 degree slope over the bore, which I can now figure out, since you want the height of the two sides based on the centerline height, to determine piston shape. Yay, now I can order pistons.

Low58Corsair
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: used to play Trumpet in Highschool

Post by Low58Corsair » Mon 11. Jan 2010, 09:42

Not to hijack the thread but I'm in the early stages of my engine rebuild and I was wondering if later on, probably mid spring, if my block needs boring, would I be able to join your loan-a-torqueplate program? :D

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 11. Jan 2010, 18:05

Sure, no questtion. But we have a problem. Kultulz has not responded to my e-mails. I assume that he must have serious health problems. He has stopped posting on a world of forums since about June 09 I think. I don't mind the plate if they're gone, but it would be sad to loose this man.
Maybe some other folk knows more what's up with him.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 11. Jan 2010, 18:08

Chris Craft crazy wrote:Okay, so I now have that figure.

Deck height : 10.170 inches, or 258.318 mm

The true deck height at exhaust and intake would be calculated based on the 10 degree slope over the bore, which I can now figure out, since you want the height of the two sides based on the centerline height, to determine piston shape. Yay, now I can order pistons.
Did you provide the piston manufacturer the exh. side deck height and the int. side deck height too? I think that's important for the piston designer.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Wed 13. Jan 2010, 16:31

I haven't figured that out yet, but with the true deck height at dead center, it is just a question of mathematics to figure out the height on either side.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”