Re: Chris Craft 430ies

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Sat 9. Jul 2011, 23:38

Always great to see an update from you sir. Photo's would be the icing on the cake! ;)

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Sun 10. Jul 2011, 19:04

moon covers.jpg
moon covers
Yep, it's coming. A lot of final prep for this engine build... a whole lot of polishing.

Here you go... heads with the Harland sharps on them, easily clearing the Moon valve covers
Last edited by Chris Craft crazy on Thu 14. Jul 2011, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Thu 14. Jul 2011, 18:16

try this again
Attachments
Harland sharps.jpg
harland sharps

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Thu 14. Jul 2011, 18:28

Here are the front (remember flywheel is on the 'front' of this engine) cover, the original marauder intake, and the very complicated 'rear' cover which also has engine legs, the mounts for the oil and transmission cooler, the timing cover gasket, and the transmission bolts to it. These required HOURS of grinding sanding and polishing. I sent them out to be final polished to a local polishing place. Thanks to Hugo from California polish... he did a great final prep before they will be high temp powder coated in a slightly less than gloss finish.. I don't want a plasticky look on this stuff.
Intake final polish.jpg
Original Marauder intake, polished
frontcover final polish.jpg
Front flywheel marine cover and mount polished
rearcover final polish.jpg
Rear marine cover with engine leg mounts polished

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Fri 15. Jul 2011, 10:08

Thanks for the great photo's. By the way you remember that friend of mine who has the 430, I asked some question for? Well his is now alive! I'll be seeing it this Sunday afternoon.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 15. Jul 2011, 12:36

Work and Work,....worling at the car polish. Dude, that' I call work. I strongly recommend using tubular spacers instead of the stock rocker shaft springs. Are you familiar with the rocker tip to valve tip motion? You need to check that,...very important. There are lots of articles out there. I think the mayor cam shaft manufacturers have how to articles with illustrations,....oh I'm getting old. off course check YouTube.too.
Nice engine for a fancy boat. looks like you're going to pimp that vessel to fame. Can't wait to watch her being fired up on YouTube. ;)
Thanks for sharing.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Fri 15. Jul 2011, 19:04

Can you buy those spacers Theo? I admit being a little over my head on the valve to tip check, but I messed around a bit, and it looks good. Any advice on how to definitively check that valve to tip? Check it when the engine is assembled but not fired?

Edit: found the spacer kit from Harland Sharp, and ordered them.

The spacers will keep everything exact for sure... but is it necessary for an engine that is used within moderate limits..?

Great news on your buddy Rick, send me some photo's or a post a youtube!!!

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 16. Jul 2011, 01:17

Chris Craft crazy wrote:......... I admit being a little over my head on the valve to tip check, but I messed around a bit, and it looks good. Any advice on how to definitively check that valve to tip? Check it when the engine is assembled but not fired?
O.K. I'll help on that but you need to be a little patient I'm in the middle of moving and time is a big issue at the moment. This step is too important to skip. So, please hold on.
Chris Craft crazy wrote:found the spacer kit from Harland Sharp, and ordered them. The spacers will keep everything exact for sure... but is it necessary for an engine that is used within moderate limits..?
Well, not exactly true. The spacers are a good starting point as for axial space. Depending on the way you adjust the rockerarms according to the right tip to tip motion it's not uncommon that you have to shave them to correct length. More of this later, sorry.
And yes IMO and experience the alum. spacers are a great way to make sure the rocker arms won't slip sideways off their corresponding valve tips. Had this happening on a moderate RV cam w. an FE engine.
When it happened I noticed a loud ticking quite similar to a collapsed lifter, maybe a little louder. After lifting the valve cover there you had it. One rocker arm had slipped sideways and off from the valve tip. Fortunately it was a Harland sharp rocker arm so its' function was still intact to some lesser degree. It simply opened and closed the valve with is' rocker tip shoulder (the area very near to the roller).
Dunno what the engine or at least that cylinder would have looked like if the valve motion would have completely failed as this would have been the case w. a stock rocker arm.
At the same time this was a great real life test on how rigid those HSharps are.
Chris Craft crazy wrote:Great news on your buddy Rick, send me some photo's or a post a youtube!!!
aah, you guys have secrets,...;)
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 16. Jul 2011, 14:09

BTW, here's one of 6 loads in total. If you see an intake on this truck, think of it as the top of a stack of 3, etc. We're in day three now and I wonder how my back could handle all this. Yesterday we had mainly engine blocks. Today was the day of mainly cranks. man, I had almost forgotten how many parrts I have gathered during the last 20 years. I found about 25 crankshafts. FRE cranks are about 32 Kiloos while the 429 cranks is, well I didn't weigh it but its a Monster, probably slightly bigger than a MEL crank.
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5934.jpg
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Sun 17. Jul 2011, 07:45

I wish we had the trucks that Europe has... We lack those smaller diesel trucks, and substitute big ass gasoline pickups that get ten miles to the gallon. arggh.

Theo, dude, that's a lot of iron. I'm sure it was all very important to save... :mrgreen:
(looks like my shed)

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”