Re: Chris Craft 430ies

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Re: Chris Craft 430ies

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Fri 4. Sep 2009, 07:17

So, a couple of questions:

First, the original fuel pump has been bypassed, because the pushrods wear off very quickly at the engine end. I assume these are like the old 239 fords, which drive the fuel pump off a lobe on the rear of the camshaft. I think what has probably happened is that some scarring has occured on the cam, and it is wearing the pump pushrod because of it. Comments?

Second, In some cases Chris Craft had a slightly different cam for their marine use motors than the car version, because of the marine engine being under constant load. In the case of the 430 in this boat, I don't find that likely.. but who knows. I would love to hear some comments on camshafts available and what experience people have had in perfomance differences.

Third, I obviously just missed a major bargain on an Edelbrock L300... a buy it now on Ebay for 200 bucks :o
I would be interested in one of those intakes if anyone knows of one.

fourth: Big pistons. Where to find, how much can I bore this engine. I have found someone nearby that has a marine block, which has been sitting for a while. Most of you guys know that 30 over doesn't sometimes clean up old blocks due to rust or wear, but if .120 is possible on the lincoln, that should solve that problem ... wow

finally, thanks for this forum. Really great resource... and obviously guys I can ask dumb questions and get really good answers. ... Peter Jardine
Last edited by Chris Craft crazy on Fri 4. Sep 2009, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chris Craft 430's

Post by Theo » Sat 5. Sep 2009, 09:17

Chris Craft crazy wrote:So, a couple of questions:

First, the original fuel pump has been bypassed, because the pushrods wear off very quickly at the engine end. I assume these are like the old 239 fords, which drive the fuel pump off a lobe on the rear of the camshaft.
The fuel pump is attached in the front section rather than in the rear section of the block.
Chris Craft crazy wrote: I think what has probably happened is that some scarring has occured on the cam, and it is wearing the pump pushrod because of it. Comments?
Hard to tell w/o inspecting the cam.
Chris Craft crazy wrote:Second, In some cases Chris Craft had a slightly different cam for their marine use motors than the car version, because of the marine engine being under constant load. In the case of the 430 in this boat, I don't find that likely.. but who knows. I would love to hear some comments on camshafts available and what experience people have had in perfomance differences.
Well boat camshafts are mostly if not allways different than car cams. Boat cams are ground for massive torque rather than for high revolution high horsepower operation. They usually should have less duration at 50 and shorter overlap. Modern aftermarket cams might also come up with a higer lift at the same or slighty longer duration.

Chris Craft crazy wrote: fourth: Big pistons. Where to find, how much can I bore this engine. I have found someone nearby that has a marine block, which has been sitting for a while. Most of you guys know that 30 over doesn't sometimes clean up old blocks due to rust or wear, but if .120 is possible on the lincoln, that should solve that problem ... wow
I don't know how much over you can bore a MEL Block. The problem is not just the beef of the cylinder walls. It's core shift that makes your life difficult. To bore a block safe you should have the cilynder walls sonic checked by a compotent mashinist. I'm currently selling a "Daytona Instruments" sonic checker BTW.
Make sure to read the various sections in this forum for your choice on pistons. There is a sticky post in this section. I'm not good in keeping all the details, so I can't really point you to threads. Sorry.
Chris Craft crazy wrote: finally, thanks for this forum. Really great resource... and obviously guys I can ask dumb questions and get really good answers. ... Peter Jardine
Thanks. You're welcome
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 5. Sep 2009, 09:19

BTW Peter, I moved your photo post to the photo section. See viewtopic.php?f=17&t=297

Your introduction can be viewed in the "Introduce yourself" section at viewforum.php?f=72
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Sun 6. Sep 2009, 19:09

Oops, forgot that rear and front are reversed on the marine... on the 431H Chris Craft motor the flywheel is on the front. Note the aluminum bellhousing.. and the pumps are different. Carter AFB is original.
The Supersport is now in the stripping out phase. All the interior upholstery has been removed, as well as the hardware etc. You can see the Lincoln sitting there all by it's lonesome :mrgreen:
Attachments
chriscraft_mel_engine.jpg

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Tue 8. Sep 2009, 20:49

That is a thing of beauty. Please keep photo's coming on the progress!

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Post by reijerlincoln » Wed 9. Sep 2009, 01:22

Here's a thread about the MEL Engine Series Combustion Chamber & Piston Design viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67 It names a few suppliers. Hope it helps.

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Sun 15. Nov 2009, 15:14

So here we are... an engine torn down. This is a 1960 430 block, but by the casting numbers, the heads are 1961, so it must be an engine built on the edge of 61. I post these pics as a reference for those of you who have not seen the differences between the marine engine and automotive.

First, the block, with a single solid lifter sitting there..
chriscraft_mel_engine1.jpg
Here is the curious little brass flexible coupling to the strainer... which is also bronze mounted in the bottom of the pan.
chriscraft_mel_engine2.jpg
Now the pan, which is about double the capacity of an automotive pan, and is CAST ALUMINUM. Keep in mind the engine is flipped around... the flywheel is on the front, and the timing gears on the rear of the engine The pan has an inspection port on the one side, so you can unbolt the flexible pipe from the strainer before dropping the pan.
chriscraft_mel_engine3.jpg
Last edited by Chris Craft crazy on Sun 15. Nov 2009, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Sun 15. Nov 2009, 15:28

This engine has been rebuilt, and the pistons are Kanter replacements, .020 over flat tops, and that will change :roll:
chriscraft_mel_engine4.jpg
Here is another engine lurking in the back, as well as other parts of this one
chriscraft_mel_engine5.jpg
chriscraft_mel_engine6.jpg
This is the cast aluminum housing that joins up the crank at the timing cover end to the transmission.(to the left of the picture.. essentially making it the timing cover. The transmission itself is the seal on the end of the housing... one of the reason for the extra oil capacity. The fuel pump and fuel pump rod are also in this housing, as well as the back legs for the engine as it sits on the engine beds.
chriscraft_mel_engine7.jpg

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 18. Nov 2009, 04:28

Great Photos Peter, thank you for sharing them with us. There are not many photos of marine MEL engines out there.
I've edited some of your photos for a larger view if you click on them. Here they are.
chriscraft_mel_engine4b.jpg
chriscraft_mel_engine4b.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 25373 times
chriscraft_mel_engine6b.jpg
chriscraft_mel_engine7b.jpg
Best regards
Theo
Admin

66Lincoupe
Airman
Airman

Post by 66Lincoupe » Thu 19. Nov 2009, 10:40

I would LOVE to see a close up of that gear drive timing set!!! Wonder if it would fit under the passenger car timing cover??

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”