Plastic timing gear on the camshaft?

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
FEfinaticP
Command at Sea
Command at Sea

Plastic timing gear on the camshaft?

Post by FEfinaticP » Mon 3. Aug 2009, 19:30

Hi guys,

This is a MEL related question alright because it has to do with the 431 Lincoln engines Chris Craft purchased for marinization in their Galipolis Ohio engine plant. I don't know the answer but I suspect some of you guys here on the MEL forum do, because I think there are some marine motors running in cars these days too, just as there are numerous 427FE marine engines that have found their way into cars. In any case, here is the question my friend asked me, and I am relaying it to you, with a link back to him so he can enter the MEL forum on his own and benefit greatly from all the knowledge here!

Regards from Nashville, Tennessee !

Paul

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Paul,

Do you know if the 431 Lincoln motor used by CC has the plastic timing gear on the camshaft or did CC spec a metal timing gear setup?

I have a 1963 CC Caravelle 20' with the 431 engine and have searched the Internet and cannot determine which gear was used in the CC application.

I would appreciate any light/info you can provide on that.

Thanks,

Bill"

For reference, here is a link to a 431 powered 20-foot Chris Craft Caravelle, and guys, that is a LOT of motor for a 20-foot light weight wood boat, and must be great fun to ride in and listen to!!
http://www.antiqueboat.com/boatdetails/drak20.aspx

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Re: Plastic timing gear on the camshaft?

Post by reijerlincoln » Thu 20. Aug 2009, 01:22

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=262

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Re: Plastic timing gear on the camshaft?

Post by Treinarts » Mon 24. Aug 2009, 10:07

Stock cam timing gear was covered with nylon. I think to reduce noise. These gears wear out, get sloppy and make it impossible to tune the engine. I suggest a "link belt" brand as a replacement. It is a true roller set up and can be ordered/purchased at most parts stores. TJR

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”