430 MEL has touble starting

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Gageure126.0
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: I am a singer but I dont play any musical instruments...

430 MEL has touble starting

Post by Gageure126.0 » Fri 22. Apr 2016, 13:51

Hi everyone,

I have a 1965 Continental with a 430ci MEL. I parked the car for about 6 months and when I came back I had issues starting the car. The car would start and run perfectly for a minute or two, and then would die and wouldn't restart. Originally, I thought that I had pumped bad gas into the carb (aftermarket manual choke Edelbrock 750cfm), so I had the carb rebuilt. Then, I siphoned all the bad gas out of the tank, replaced it with fresh fuel and some fuel treatment, put a new fuel filter on and bled all of the fuel lines of the bad gas... Then, I tried to start it again... The car started, ran perfect for a minute, then died and wouldn't start. Then, I replaced the carb with a re-manufactured manual choke Edelbrock 750cfm. Same problem. So, I checked compression and every cylinder read 180psi-190psi. (Perfect).... I checked spark, and with my tester, I was able to get spark on every cylinder. I played with the timing and the fuel/air mixture, but I keep getting carbon fouled spark plugs. Normally, that tells me that I am getting too much fuel, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going wrong. Can anyone help???

Just as a side note, I replaced the timing chain and gears with metal gears about 3 years ago, and the car ran perfectly before I parked it.... HELP!!!!!

Gageure126.0
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: I am a singer but I dont play any musical instruments...

Re: 430 MEL has touble starting

Post by Gageure126.0 » Fri 22. Apr 2016, 13:55

Also, I forgot to mention that I checked the gap on the points, and it was dead on. I also replaced the coil, thinking that the coil was getting hot. However, I have not tried to change the distributor condenser.

congo
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: piano

Post by congo » Fri 22. Apr 2016, 20:24

Is your choke not opening all the way? This happened to me with a motorcycle that had a sticking choke cable.

750 CFM might also be too big of a carb for your 430. My 65 Lincoln runs an Edelbrock 1406 (elec choke 600 CFM) and it runs great. These engines don't really rev high enough (at least in a Lincoln) to need a 750.

Gageure126.0
Airman basic

Post by Gageure126.0 » Mon 25. Apr 2016, 13:00

The choke is opening up all the way. I double checked the first time that it started...

I was running a 750cfm on the 430 for 8 years without any issues. It ran perfect on the 750.

Thanks for the help.

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Duplicate The Problem With A Glass Fuel Filter

Post by Chris430 » Fri 29. Apr 2016, 19:26

And/or a fuel pressure gauge inline. Sounds like a fuel restriction. Something in the gas tank, torn sock, rust flakes in the filter or a rubber fuel line coming apart inside and closing off fuel supply.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”