58 410 valve noise

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
edselman
Airman basic

58 410 valve noise

Post by edselman » Tue 18. Aug 2015, 06:33

I haven't posted in sometime. I finally got my 58 edsel running. I had the 410 engine rebuilt,and installed a set of 59 Merc 430 cylinder heads. I had my original cam reground by Oregon Cam to a 1970 429 Super cobra jet grind,with lift of .498 accounting for the 1.73 rocker ratio.
The issue I am experiencing is valve noise once the engine warms up after driving about 15 minutes. It sounds as if I have valve lash clearance,even though it has hydraulics lifters. I installed stock valve lifters.
Oregon cam sold me a set of .070 longer 3/8"pushrods(opted for 3/8 over 5/16"), to account for the amount removed from cam to regrind it. I had checked that I had roughly .070" that the lifters were compressing with the longer pushrods. have run the engine 6-8 hours,mostly in garage.
Initially when I fired the engine,I had used stock length pushrods,not knowing I had to account for cam regrind. It had same valve noise as it does now. It does seem I have sufficient oiling to valve rockers.
I was wondering now,since the valve lifters are lower in lifter gallery if this would create this issue?
I took some readings with a dial indicator at the valve retainer. I just bumped engine over to get valve to top and bottom of travel. I only got .370" travel. I estimated I should have around.500". All valve travel is about the same on all I checked. I took the rocker shaft assembly off and checked travel with indicator off pushod. I did get .500 travel. So it seems the cam lobes arent worn down.
Appreciate any advice. Thanx,Tom

edselman
Airman basic

Re: 58 410 valve noise

Post by edselman » Wed 19. Aug 2015, 12:21

Upon further checks on the 410,it seems that I am experiencing lifter bleed down. More noticable when its' hot. The engine oil I have in it is Brad Penn 30w breakin oil. Would I benefit any by using 20w50 once the engine is sufficiently broke in? I don't relish having to change both cam and lifters...

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Re: 58 410 valve noise

Post by Treinarts » Fri 21. Aug 2015, 10:06

I would suggest a high pressure oil pump. One for FE ford is interchangeable. I would avoid thicker oil on a new engine. Maybe a 10-30 or 15-40 at most. Never had hydraulic lifter problems. TJR

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”