Vacuum pipe???

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
t_of_sweden
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: Bass

Vacuum pipe???

Post by t_of_sweden » Sat 20. Jul 2013, 04:20

Hi again...

I wonder about the vacuum pipe attached to the crank case...

To WHAT shall it be connected and should it be any junction on it for any more connections???

I will post a picture of the actual engine and pipe during the day.
T.
Edsel Citation 4-d HT 1958

t_of_sweden
Airman
Airman

Re: Vacuum pipe???

Post by t_of_sweden » Sun 21. Jul 2013, 08:25

Here is the picture with the pipe marked...
Attachments
IMAG1054fix.JPG
T.

alvin
Airman basic

Post by alvin » Tue 23. Jul 2013, 21:05

goes to the vacuum wiper motor. do you still have the vacuum pump on the bottom of the oil pump

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 25. Jul 2013, 16:13

Like he said. I think it was also supplying the car's unique central ball joint lubricating system. Not sure if this is s.th. that I read in the driver's Manual. These pics are made a long time ago, so I might miss on details. The first photo shows the nippel where the rubber vac. hose gets attached.
melvacuumpump3.jpg
melvacuumpump.jpg
melvacuumpump.jpg (17.82 KiB) Viewed 9949 times
melvacuumpump2.jpg
For the full story you might want to read this: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=393
Best regards
Theo
Admin

t_of_sweden
Airman
Airman

Post by t_of_sweden » Fri 16. May 2014, 04:40

Hi..

It's been a long time with diffirent problems för me but at least my MEL 430 is running exept for ONE problem...

It seems like it will burn oil on the right side (1-4) but not on the left side (6-8)...

I haven't got the vacuumpump in the crankcase and I did'nt have it there when I stripped the engine down.

Is there ANY possability that this pipe that is connected to the same hose as the vacuum tank, and trough the joint hose that is connected to the intake manifold CAN be using that as a straw and provide the right side with extra oil wich shouldn't be coming that way to the valves and in to the combustion room???
T.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 16. May 2014, 12:26

Simply block the nipple if you're not using a vac. pump. The nipple would normally inhale air w. the vac. pump connected. If no vac. pump is installed air (oil steam) is escaping out of the crankcase. Not ideal if you have the nipple connected w. a hose to the vac. canister or other devices. This oil steam could als be drawn all the way up to your brake booster if it shares the same vac. path. Just block it and take a few spins and watch your tail pipe.
Off coarse your problem can be related to s.th. different. Just my 2 cts on your vac. pump question
Best regards
Theo
Admin

t_of_sweden
Airman
Airman

Post by t_of_sweden » Sun 18. May 2014, 01:24

I blocked the nipple and got rid of the smoke at once, but can this do any harm to the engine to block it, I was thinking if the crank case ventilation will work as it should???

If that might be the case, are there any other solutions?
T.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sun 18. May 2014, 02:56

Glad it solved the problem. The nipple and the vac. pump thing has nothing to do w. the crank case ventilation. Blocking the nipple won't do any harm to your engine. Since there is no vac. pump attached it's simply a hole in the wall.
I can't remember exactly how the cc ventilation works on a MEL as it is very long time ago since I rebuilt one of these. I think it has some hole in the back side of the block where the fumes escape into the area between the block and the steel plate that separates the block from the transmission bell housing.
Many people convert this system into a pos. cc ventilation via the valve covers into the air filter base plate or in the case of the MEL via the oil filler cap into either the carb port or right into the air filter base plate.
So, blocking this nipple won't do any bad thing if there's no vac. pump involved.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”