Damage To 430 Cylinder Wall What to DO?!

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Damage To 430 Cylinder Wall What to DO?!

Post by davidp2364 » Thu 8. Nov 2012, 02:18

Hey guys hows it going sorry havent been on in a while my 62 Linc got put on the back burnner for a while but I'm back at it again full swing!! well here's why Im posting this topic........
As some of you may know I have a 1962 Linc with a 430 2v that the oil pump rod snapped and did a mess of damage to the 430 block :o ....I need some recomendations on what to do? Is this bad? How should i go about repairing if repairable? pictures are down below......(also posted some pics of some progress and the mocked up engine as she sets right now if any spots anything out of place or some inprovements please feel free to commit.) THANKS
Attachments
IMG_1641.JPG
Here's the damaged cylinder wall "What do I do"
IMG_1643.JPG
The 62' 430 2v after some cleaning
IMG_1645.JPG
The 62' 430 2v after some cleaning
IMG_1609.JPG
Some Original 1959 pistons i plan on putting in
IMG_1654.JPG
some mock up pics
IMG_1656.JPG
some mock up pics
IMG_1669.JPG
some mock up pics
IMG_1671.JPG
some mock up pics
IMG_1666.JPG
some mock up pics-top

keithol
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: I wish I could play guitar

Re: Damage To 430 Cylinder Wall What to DO?!

Post by keithol » Thu 8. Nov 2012, 09:29

As long as there are no scratches up and down the inside of the cylinder it should be OK, in my opinion. I have seen a lot worse used with no problems. Only the tip of the piston skirt is protruding, and only at the bottom of the stroke when there are almost no side thrusts exerted on the piston. When the piston is at the bottom of the stroke there is no compression or combustion pressure, and the connecting rod is parallel with the cylinder , the only thrust would be from bearing /lubricant drag in the direction of rotation. Just make sure there are no sharp edges at the piston side of the block. Also if you want to use used pistons, you need to check for proper clearance for each piston, and cylinder taper. The other thing I would do is carefully take the oil pump apart and see why it seized. Of the two engines I have seen with twisted drives ,one had a piece of hard sludge between the gears the other had a coolant leak and formed a sort of varnish that stuck the pump. Not That you would use that pump but you want to make sure you have corrected the original problem. Of course measure your crank also and all the other standard overhaul procedures.

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Re: Damage To 430 Cylinder Wall What to DO?!

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 8. Nov 2012, 11:50

The mock up looks good to me. If your pistons are original. Could you please take some better photos of the pistons at different angles clear enough so that they may be added to the Piston / Chamber thread.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”