Casting number??

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
t_of_sweden
Airman
Airman
Music instruments you're playing: Bass

Casting number??

Post by t_of_sweden » Sun 4. Nov 2012, 15:12

My MEL 410 (?) in my -58 edsel has the casting number "B9 ME"..

Will that say that the engine is switched or did they use the same casting number and how sure can i be that it is the original engine when the specifications for the 430 say that "B9 ME" tells that it is a 1959??? :?:
T.
Edsel Citation 4-d HT 1958

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Casting number??

Post by Theo » Tue 6. Nov 2012, 01:22

I moved to an other flat. All my books are stored s.w. else. Some other participant will sure shed a light on it. Maybe the engine has been swapped for a later one.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Tue 6. Nov 2012, 11:52

I doubt that it would be coded B9 since the 410 was only used for the 1958 year Edsel.
Here is a scan that might help at least for the 430.
engine data plate.jpeg

t_of_sweden
Airman
Airman

Post by t_of_sweden » Tue 6. Nov 2012, 12:30

The question is if the Sommersville plant where lack of parts when they built my Edsel since I got an electric wiper motor and the power steering pump on the crankshaft.

I have heard some old rumors about some plants took the parts they had in stock so they could begin the production...
T.

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Tue 6. Nov 2012, 14:43

The Sommerville plant ended production in October of '57. I don't believe that there is anyway they could have put a '59 date coded engine in your car at that plant. In all the books I have they refer to B9 as being a '59 part number.

58-Pagoda
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by 58-Pagoda » Tue 6. Nov 2012, 22:14

I would check the car's build date off the vin plate and compare against the engine final assembly date. That will tell you how many months difference you are looking at and if the chronology makes sense. In my experience with 1958 430 engines, they were final assembled ~2-4 weeks before the car was assembled. You can also decipher the date codes of the engine parts (block, heads, intake) and should find that they were cast ~1-4 weeks before the final engine assembly date.

Enigne final assembly stamp- just in front of left cylinder head.
IMG_0197x.jpg

58-Pagoda
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by 58-Pagoda » Tue 6. Nov 2012, 22:27

I looked at your registry and noticed you have an early '58. In the last year or so I located an early '58 410 engine in Canada. I was only interested in the water pump for my early '58 Continental but the seller would not sell just that part. The entire engine was reasonably priced but shipping was too much for me. If you are interested in it I could try to find the contact info. Not sure if he still has it, but it might be a perfect match for your car.

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 7. Nov 2012, 01:18

58-Pagoda wrote:I looked at your registry and noticed you have an early '58. In the last year or so I located an early '58 410 engine in Canada. I was only interested in the water pump for my early '58 Continental but the seller would not sell just that part. The entire engine was reasonably priced but shipping was too much for me. If you are interested in it I could try to find the contact info. Not sure if he still has it, but it might be a perfect match for your car.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

t_of_sweden
Airman
Airman

Post by t_of_sweden » Wed 7. Nov 2012, 03:15

The final assembly date stamp is:

L210 4-95 v v

And the castnumber is:

B9ME-6090-B
95 F:1

And the cylinder heads is casted with the same castnumber and another same number but with diffirent letters in the end:

B9ME-6090-B

And then the difference:

95 P on one of them

95 T on the other one

And it seems it had a less seriosely overhaul because I found aluminum foil over the whole line but just on the parts that can be dismantled...

I've realized the enginge has been swapped, but it doesn't means so much to me for the moment, it's maybe easier to find parts to the 430... :D :lol:
T.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”