Oregon Cam 429CJ hyd regrind for 430

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
austlinc
Airman basic

Oregon Cam 429CJ hyd regrind for 430

Post by austlinc » Mon 16. Apr 2012, 01:38

Hi Guys,

I don't know if anyone has used Oregon with success, as I am in Australia I am looking for some help here before I ship my cam half way around the world for a $70 regrind....

Can anyone give me some feedback of this cam, in particular if the stock valve train assembly was used and what performance gains were made?

The specs are....

215/218 duration @ .050", 288/288 advertised, .419"/.498" lift(1.73:1 rocker), 114 lobe sep

Cheers Angelo

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oregon Cam 429CJ hyd regrind for 430

Post by Theo » Mon 16. Apr 2012, 11:23

Hi Angelo,
can't say anything about the Co in question. I'm behind the moon since a couple of years but from looking at the cam specs. the cam looks like a streeable lower mid range torque cam. It will probably not idle as smooth as your stock cam. A light rough spin this will be. With a compression at about 10.5 this won't be really an issiue. The lower the compression the sloppier it will run.
Good luck
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Treinarts » Tue 24. Apr 2012, 09:32

I had Oregon Cams regrind my cam on a 58 430 core to 428 SCJ specs. Workmanship is good. My cam is a bit more agressive than yours. They do have a large number of patterns to choose from. I would recommend them. TJR

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Tue 24. Apr 2012, 19:11

Any comments on a particular grind for a marine engine? I would have to get a regrind of a reverse cam, since the engine is counter rotating to a car engine.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 25. Apr 2012, 02:19

You will need a low rev low end torque marine grind. Just search for marine cams at Comp cams, Crower or any other major manufacturer and read the specs AND comments to get an idea.
Generally spoken the bigger a cam at the same given compression the lesser torque and weaker it willl catapult your boat at the starting line. On a boat and especially on a heavy boat you will need lots of low end torque. Maximum RPM is usually 4 to 4500 RPM. Look for a grind that has a relatively short duration at 0.50" Lift and fast opening ramps moderately high lift lobes.
Be aware that many grinds are made for todays low compression engines at 8,5 to 9,5 compression ratio. The same cam will be more prone to pre ignition detonation at 10-11 compression. Retarding the ignition will help to compensate. I assume it would be wise to either stay w. the orig specs or at least using the orig. specs as a starting point. Add just a tad of lift and just a little duration at 0.50" lift. This will change the boat's accelleration characteristics. Higher lift at almost the same duration will fill up the cylinders w. more air fuel mixture. Your vessel will get a little more aggressive and at lower mid range RPM. The engine will thankfully and happily service the slightest touch at the gas lever

Here's some inspiration although those cams still appear a little too aggressive. Keep in mind that your boat is on the heavy side and that its' hull can't compare to those rocket boats most cams are made for.

http://www.crower.com/catalogsearch/res ... am&x=0&y=0
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Wed 25. Apr 2012, 02:47

Theo wrote:..............Be aware that many grinds are made for todays low compression engines at 8,5 to 9,5 compression ratio. The same cam will be more prone to pre ignition detonation at 10-11 compression. Retarding the ignition will help to compensate.
I should add that the higher compression will compensate for torque loss w. bigger cams. So a bigger cam will feel and act smaller with your 10,5 compression which is a good thing in return.

You might consider calling Crane, Comp Cams or any other cam manufacturer. They won't have your cam that I'm pretty sure of but they might be able to assist you with the pattern you're looking for.

I recommend to call more than one manufacturer. You will probably realize that they will all come up with different suggestions Ha ha, ....possibly leave you more confused. Some guys have a bad day some have a good day. That's life. On the other hand they use computer programs to find the right cam for you. off course the data base only relates to their own cams. Do a few calls here and there and you'll get closer to the picture. I allways liked to read the cam specs of the manufacturers catalogs (paper). Long lists to give you brain food. Maybe those lists exist in the net too.
Try to get these guy's katalog. It a huge fat book with tons of cam charts too. Not a bad thing to have as a reference guide.

http://www.pawinc.com/

Good luck and let us know what's up with that from time to time.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Wed 25. Apr 2012, 18:41

Good advice Theo, thank you.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 26. Apr 2012, 02:45

You're welcome and keep us informed about what cams you're consideruing. We might be able to help you on your descision. What's the boat's weight?
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”