Flat top pistons?

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Flat top pistons?

Post by davidp2364 » Fri 23. Sep 2011, 16:26

So heres my newbie question.....
So if i decide to go with flat top pistons what exactly will it hurt me i know there might be a power differance but i want my car to be a daily driver iv heard it might get better fuel milage....also would i be able to run unleaded as it being a daily for fuel prices

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Re: Flat top pistons?

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Fri 23. Sep 2011, 17:49

It will not get better fuel mileage, and it will not develop any where near as much power. The engine will, however, run smoothly and not cause any problems.

Most rebuilds out there will be flat tops these days, but it isn't the right way.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 23. Sep 2011, 23:20

Being able to run leaded or unleaded gas is not a question of what sort of piston you're running. It's dependent on whether or not your cylinder heads feature hardened valve seats.
These old engines didn't come w. hardened valve seats originally. You'll have to convert the cylinder heads to use those seats. Otherwise you'l have to use leaded gas.
Only a competent machine shop can do the job. You might have cylinder heads that have been converted before your time. Check it out.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Sat 24. Sep 2011, 17:29

@ Chris....
Smoother without power and not having any problems? How much power are we talking about like iv said before I'm not building a race car just a smooth daily driver...... Thanx for all the help

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 18:50

There are lots of rebuilds out there using flat top pistons. Most Lincoln parts suppliers offer flat top replacement pistons. The car will run fine, and unless you had the original engine makeup along side the flatty rebuild you might not even know the difference. Keep in mind, the flat top piston is only a small portion of your rebuild process.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Tue 27. Sep 2011, 13:07

Chris Craft crazy wrote:There are lots of rebuilds out there using flat top pistons. Most Lincoln parts suppliers offer flat top replacement pistons. The car will run fine, and unless you had the original engine makeup along side the flatty rebuild you might not even know the difference. Keep in mind, the flat top piston is only a small portion of your rebuild process.
im sorry i dont understand......what is "the original engine makeup along side the the flatty mean?

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Tue 27. Sep 2011, 14:00

Original make-up refers to the original piston shape as seen on this thread viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14 scroll down and you can see the non-flat top pistons these engines originally came with.

Hope this helps....

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Tue 27. Sep 2011, 14:35

man thats a lot of info and numbers haha....im not even going to lie and even pretend to know what any of that means!
what exsactly am i looking for or at?

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Tue 27. Sep 2011, 16:57

David, money might become an issue as you proceed during a rebuild. Labor, parts and machining is pricey. Make sure you won't run half way into s.th. surprising.
Depending on skills and background it might be a realistic option to purchase a running used engine from a reliable source. It's not that I want to keep you from rebuilding your engine. Thing is that most of us participants tend to recommend rebuilding an engine the right way. Consequently that means rebuilding from scratch and spending big $$ in no time.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”