Connecting rods?!

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Connecting rods?!

Post by davidp2364 » Fri 9. Sep 2011, 17:01

Can I use my the connecting rod I pulled out of my 59 on my 63 430?

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Connecting rods?!

Post by Theo » Fri 9. Sep 2011, 18:21

The rods should be inspected by a competent machinist. Reusing the old rod bolts is not recommended on FORD engines of that period. They are prone to break if reused.
ARP makes ultra tough rod bolts for a lot of engine brands. Check out if the do MEL rod bolts. If you exchange the rod bolts, rebuilding the rods is a must.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Fri 9. Sep 2011, 19:11

Man you guy are killing me all I hear is $$$$$$$ i mean Thanx for the help don't get me wrong I want to rebuild this motor but im not trying to make a race motor eather just a cool car that drives smooth
But man..... What to do I don't want to cut corners but I rally am doing this by myself I don't know any machine guys or engine builders I don't know were to go to get stuff cleaned or how to clean it hell I don't even know some off the engine part names..... Haha sorry
Just to make sure the connecting rod is the rod the piston goes on and connects to the crank shaft.... Right?
Like I said a few times I am a dumb a##
How do I do this engine in lameans tearms?

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 10. Sep 2011, 01:24

davidp2364 wrote:.........I don't want to cut corners but I rally am doing this by myself I don't know any machine guys or engine builders I don't know were to go to get stuff cleaned or how to clean it hell I don't even know some off the engine part names..... Haha sorry

You will learn step by step on this journey. The first thing you already learned is that it's not gonna be cheap.
Be aware that there is a lot of work that can't be done without a machine shop if you want to do it right. Off course you might want to experiment by reusing most of the parts just as is but that depends on what parts you're looking at and how much time and money you got to spend on doing things twice once things fail.
Whatever road you decide to take, you need to have at least a few gauges, micrometer gauges or at least s.o. who can help you taking measurements.
davidp2364 wrote:........Just to make sure the connecting rod is the rod the piston goes on and connects to the crank shaft.... Right?
Right.
davidp2364 wrote:........Like I said a few times I am a dumb a##
There are no stupid questions.
Again,a MEL rebuilt is gonna be pricey, unless you decide to experiment w. a fast cheapo backyard rebuild. Then at least you need to buy a new timing chain, oil pump, fuel pump shaft, piston rings and bearings to start with.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Sat 10. Sep 2011, 06:34

Man your awesome and you have a way of exspailaining things I can understand.....
So what all needs to be machined?
Also iv read some stuff on here about the pistons and the lip on top some one was saying that only Wiescoe (that might no be spell right) was the only one that makes em but kanter says they have a master rebuild kit that looks like it has everything I need.... Does it? Does it come with the proper pistons? Or do I have to get those els were?

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Sat 10. Sep 2011, 07:00

davidp2364 wrote:Man your awesome and you have a way of exspailaining things I can understand.....
So what all needs to be machined?
Also iv read some stuff on here about the pistons and the lip on top some one was saying that only Wiescoe (that might no be spell right) was the only one that makes em but kanter says they have a master rebuild kit that looks like it has everything I need.... Does it? Does it come with the proper pistons? Or do I have to get those els were?
Nevermind about the piston question I just got done browsing some of your older post on here about kanter man you guys know your stuff

greglewis
Airman basic

Post by greglewis » Tue 8. May 2012, 15:31

Hi David A R P Does make rod bolts for your project and there well worth the price this not a place you want to skimp. Good luck. Greg lewis

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”