Oil pump

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Oil pump

Post by davidp2364 » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 13:33

Me again my original 63 Mel 430 spun bearings and left a lot of junk in the oil pan and oil pump
Is there a way to clean and make sure the oil pump is in good working order or am i a dumb a##

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Re: Oil pump

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 13:53

Since your oil pan & pump was full of junk. It is probably worn. Kanter has them for $51.00. Better safe than sorry. Don't forget to replace the pump shaft at the same time. These usually show signs of wear first.

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 14:06

Thanx I'll do that then. Your right safe than sorry!
Does kanter have man bearings and cam shaft bearings for my motor too?

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 14:48

Dunno if Kanter stocks them. Kanter is on the pricey side. In this case you may be better off with other dealers. Bearings are usually Clevite 77, TRW or Federal Mogul. Check the big distribuitors like Jegs, Summit, PAW and others. Also try a local Ford dealership. If they can get them for you it will be most likely without the extra boutique cents most others usually charge for exotica.
Also inspect the junk in your pan. If you find plastic parts your timing chain is shot. Please read the sticky post on the nylon plastic chain sprocket issiue.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

davidp2364
Airman
Airman

Post by davidp2364 » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 16:33

No plastic but Yea already planned on timing chain....I currently have three Mel 430 engines setting in my garage hope to get one done soon.
I checked out that site it's nice thanx
Anything els I should change like the timing chain comes to your mind that I might regret not doing right now and were to pick It up would be appreciated
Thanx again for all your help

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 17:57

Another item easily worn would be the fuel pump shaft. Check out the thread on this forum.

Chris Craft crazy
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar

Post by Chris Craft crazy » Thu 8. Sep 2011, 18:02

Mahl/Clevite, TRW and Federal Mogul no longer make undersize bearings for the 430. This really complicates things, since they still make regular size bearings..... yet with a nodular iron crank, you can't chrome it to bring it back up to size, and the only other alternative is to either weld onto the crank, again the nodular iron giving some problems, or using the bearings that are currently available undersized, which are offshore. One respite, Ebay regularly has new old stock bearings for sale from the major makers.

As to oil pumps, do yourself a favour and buy a blueprinted oil pump from Precision oil pumps... 89 bucks. M57HV is the high volume pump, and it's worth every cent over the stock pump. In addition, Precision sell a billet oil pump drive rod for the FE ford motor that needs .07 ground off it to fit the MEL engine...20 bucks.
MEL Marine division... and if you thought MEL car parts were scarce....

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 9. Sep 2011, 00:27

Peter, thanx for the correction on the availability of bearings. Sorry David. My MEL rebuilt is too long ago. You'll find me sitting at the side fence ;)
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”