Buying 62' Lincoln Continental Vert with leaking near water pump and other thoughts

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Bonvivant75
Airman basic

Buying 62' Lincoln Continental Vert with leaking near water pump and other thoughts

Post by Bonvivant75 » Tue 18. Sep 2018, 13:58

Hello all!

First, let me thank everyone for the excellent knowledge on this forum. It has truly helped me understand these beasts.

I am looking to possibly purchase a 62' Lincoln Continental Convertible. It has been sitting for about 10 years. The guy I am buying it from bought it about 3 months ago. He is a car flipper. He has done some basic stuff. He replaced the gas tank; put new fuel lines in; worked on the brakes; and has gotten the car started. I was talking to him today and he says there is a small leak coming from the water pump. He thinks it might be a hose but I am not so sure. I heard that the 430 MEL engines on these cars have plates behind the water pump which can rust out and cause a ton of problems. What is your experience with this issue? How can I diagnose the issue without removing the water pump?

I am having a pre-sale inspection done in a day or so. I am going to see if he can tell if there are any issues with the water pump. The car is in California and I am in Chicago. Therefore, I can't go look at it. I am depending on the inspector.

I told the inspector to examine the mechanical and electronic systems. What else should he look for?

Bonvivant75
Airman basic

Re: Buying 62' Lincoln Continental Vert with leaking near water pump and other thoughts

Post by Bonvivant75 » Wed 19. Sep 2018, 09:49

No one?

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Buying 62' Lincoln Continental Vert with leaking near water pump and other thoughts

Post by Chris430 » Sat 22. Sep 2018, 08:40

Bonvivant75 wrote:
Wed 19. Sep 2018, 09:49
No one?
I do not know what happened to my post but I replied with some pictures. The plate at the back can leak and there is a weep hole up front. 62 might have a blot on stamped steel water pump pulley that would be a little easier to inspect than the 63 and up cast iron press on pulleys. If the coolant is on the pulley and being slung around the belts and hood it is time for a water pump rebuild. If it is just the plate you can make a or buy a gasket. Once you go through the trouble to pull the pump you may decide to have it rebuilt any way.

Bonvivant75
Airman basic

Post by Bonvivant75 » Sun 23. Sep 2018, 08:29

Thanks a million! That info really helps.

One other question. It appears that the engine may have popped a freeze plug in the back of the engine. Not a freezing issue because it's a so cal car. How hard is it to get to the back freeze plugs? Do I have to pull the engine?

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chris430 » Sun 23. Sep 2018, 12:36

Bonvivant75 wrote:
Sun 23. Sep 2018, 08:29
Thanks a million! That info really helps.

One other question. It appears that the engine may have popped a freeze plug in the back of the engine. Not a freezing issue because it's a so cal car. How hard is it to get to the back freeze plugs? Do I have to pull the engine?
If I remember correct you can get to the 4 rear plugs but that question would be best answered by someone who has actually done them in car. There tools out there that make changind freeze plugs easier to do in car. I have the Lizle brand. A deep plug will be easier to drive in straight. A deep brass plug will out last the engine life.

Bonvivant75
Airman basic

Post by Bonvivant75 » Sun 23. Sep 2018, 12:42

Thank you again!

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”