Talk about topics that don't fit into other board categories
59lincolnrag
Air Education & Training Command
Music instruments you're playing: Acoustic Guitar ... when I was young

Harvey Schofield ...

Post by 59lincolnrag » Sat 24. Apr 2010, 04:16

Hello Everyone,

Our friend Harvey Schofield has taken a turn for the worse. He is in Hospice care ...I went to see him today and to say good-bye....
He was in great spirits and we talked cars, specifications, MEL Performance parts and of course Lincolns.
Harvey is a walking talking encyclopedia of MEL information. A real asset to the hobby. Harvey has the most complete collection of MEL performance parts anywhere.!!
....The cancer has really taken its toll. I will keep you posted.
Anthony

Samaritan Hospice Rm 251

* (856) 596-1600

175 Madison Ave, Mt Holly, NJ 08060
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
1959 Lincoln Continental Coupe blk on blk
430 Tri-Power Super Marauder
1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible wht on wht
2006 Lincoln Town Car

59lincolnrag

Re: Harvey Schofield ...

Post by 59lincolnrag » Sun 25. Apr 2010, 04:48

From the LCOC Forum...........
by AnthLinc » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:05 am
That's a shame. I know Harvey well. I first started talking to him in 1992 when I began showing my car at a local show. I was a young kid and he offered alot of advise. We brought our 1958 Cadillac limo to one show and he was very impressed as he is into professional cars. He is a very dedicated car person and has brought a lot to the Lincoln table with information about Lehmann Peterson cars. In fact, he may be the most knowledgeable person on that subject. He is credited in many Lincoln books for his dedication. I believe he told me that he met George Lehmann for an interview. In addition, he has two of the rarest 1967 Lehmann Peterson cars. An 8 inch stretch limo and an 8 inch stretch sedan. Last year he bought a rear bumper bar off of me from ebay. I figured he hought another Limo. I'll say some prayers.

2002 Lincoln Blackwood
2006 Lincoln Town Car

59lincolnrag

Post by 59lincolnrag » Fri 30. Apr 2010, 06:05

As of today April 30 Harvey is resting comfortably at home......
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
2006 Lincoln Town Car

59lincolnrag

Post by 59lincolnrag » Mon 3. May 2010, 07:47

Longtime Marlton, NJ LCOC, PCS member and fellow M-E-L fanatic Harvey Schofield passed away 4:30 am this morning, April 30th, 2009, at the hospice of Virtua Hospital in Mt. Holly, NJ. He was 74 years old.

According to an e-mail transmitted earlier tonight by Bill Breitwieser of the Philadelphia Region Lincoln & Continental Owners Club (reached directly at Breitw6@aol.com), Harvey's Schofield's funeral will take place Friday, May 7th at St. Andrews Methodist Church in Cherry Hill, N.J., which abuts Ponzio's Diner on the eastbound side of Route 70. The family has invited Harvey's friends to attend with their old cars for a final display in his honor. Please arrive by 10 AM, one hour prior to the 11 AM start of the service, if you plan on displaying a vehicle. The services are expected to conclude by 1 PM, though the reception could run later.
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
2006 Lincoln Town Car

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 3. May 2010, 09:22

It's a pity I never got known to him. Shall he rest in Peace.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

59lincolnrag

Post by 59lincolnrag » Thu 6. May 2010, 04:54

Harvey W. Schofield

SCHOFIELD, Harvey W. On April 30, 2010 of Marlton, formerly of Cherry Hill, NJ. Age 74. Beloved husband of the late Elaine A. (nee Atkinson). Loving mother of Miriam S. Buzzi (Paul V.) of Moorestown, NJ and devoted grandfather of Paul V. "P.J." Buzzi at home. Viewing Friday 11am to 12:45pm in St. Andrew's United Methodist Church, 327 Marlton Pike West, Cherry Hill, NJ 08002. Funeral service 1pm. Interment private. In lieu of flowers contributions in his memory may be made to St. Andrews Methodist Church at the above address. For additional information and to share your condolences with the family please visit www.schetterfh.com
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
2006 Lincoln Town Car

59lincolnrag

Post by 59lincolnrag » Thu 6. May 2010, 05:04

Official Site of the Professional Car Society, Inc.
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/index.php

PCS Life Member / PCS Publicity Chairman

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I convey the news that longtime Marlton, NJ PCS member and fellow Lincoln fanatic Harvey Schofield passed away 4:30 am this morning, April 30th, 2009, at the hospice of Virtua Hospital in Mt. Holly, NJ. If my calculations are correct, he was 74 years old.

According to an e-mail transmitted earlier tonight by Bill Breitwieser of the Philadelphia Region Lincoln & Continental Owners Club (reached directly at Breitw6@aol.com), Harvey's Schofield's funeral will take place Friday, May 7th at St. Andrews Methodist Church in Cherry Hill, N.J., which abuts Ponzio's Diner on the eastbound side of Route 70. The family has invited Harvey's friends to attend with their old cars for a well-derserved final display in his honor. Please arrive by 10 AM, one hour prior to the 11 AM start of the service, if you plan on displaying a vehicle. The services are expected to conclude by 1 PM, though the reception could run later.

Though Harvey's health troubles - starting with 2008 gall bladder surgery that took 40 pounds from his already-lean, 6-foot-3 frame - had given his hobby friends good cause to worry about him over the past couple of years, it was heartening to see that his ailments did not deter him from showing his extremely-rare, standard-wheelbase and short-stretch Lehmann-Peterson Lincolns at the 2008 PCS International in Mt. Laurel, NJ and the Northeast Chapter's 2009 spring show at Peddler's Village in Lahaska, PA.

During the decade that he served as the National Custom Class advisor to the LCOC, Harvey documented about 150 survivors out of the five hundred-or-so L-P Lincolns made from 1964 to 1970; out of this total, only six were built with other than a 34-inch center stretch (if you don't count the 36-inch extensions on the two 1963 prototypes), and Harvey owned three of them! These included a 1967 model 8-inch mini-stretch limousine originally built for John Searle, the CEO of Searle Pharmaceutical in Skokie, IL, "as a 65th birthday present to himself, when he decided he wasn’t going to drive himself through downtown Chicago traffic anymore"; a 1967 8-inch mini-stetch sedan, built WITHOUT a partition for John Fischer, the CEO of Anchor Hocking Glass in Lancaster, Ohio; and a standard-wheelbase 1965 Lehmann-Peterson Lincoln limousine, specially ordered for the publisher of the Philadelphia Inquirer , which incorporated a clever "top half" petition to allow un-impeded front seat travel (it's also the only known L-P survivor built without a vinyl roof, as well as the only one with an entirely stock exterior appearance).

Asked to explain his interest in these smaller L-P Lincolns, Harvey once told me: "Like John Searle, the original owner of my ’67 limo, I consider a long stretch somewhat obnoxious because I’m a regular-type guy."

In spite of his perpetual modestly, Harvey was proud to note his family was “several generations deep in craftspersons,” including a grandfather on his mother’s side who served as construction foreman for the barracks at New Jersey's Fort Dix during WW II. After graduating from Drexel University with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Harvey entered the US Army as a 2nd Lieutenant in the ROTC program, and spent 31 years working for Rohm & Hass in Bristol, PA, where he specialized in industrial facilities engineering.

If there is anything good to say about Harvey's passing, it's that he's finally been reunited with his late wife Elaine, with whom he had one daughter, Miriam, the main recipient of our condolences along with her husband Paul and son P.J. Harvey's household also includes his beloved Dachshund Heidi, whom Harvey said is “long, low and black like most of my hobby cars.”

PCS Member

Harvey will be missed by all of his friends in the Northeast Chapter. He was a fine gentleman. A quiet man, by my standards, but when he spoke, he always had nice things to say. And Harvey was always ready to lend a helping hand. He helped park cars at all of our NE Chapter car shows at Peddler's Village.

Harvey's lovely wife Elaine passeds away about seven, or eight years ago. Now Elaine and Harvey will rest in peace together.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Harvey's family.

Rest in Peace Harvey! You are fondly remembered.

Rick Franklin
PCS Pacific Northwest Chapter President

Im saddened to hear of Harvey's passing. While I never met him, he was extremely well known and liked in the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club of which I am a long time member. His passion for and knowledge of the L-P Limousines was tremendous. I have passed along the news of his passing to the current LCOC Custom Class Advisor. May you rest in peace, Harvey.

Love
Lucille & Bill Marcy

Steve Lichtman
PCS Elected Director

It's sad to hear of Harvey's death. He had his short-stretch '67 Lehmann-Peterson Lincoln limousine at the '08 International Meet in Mt. Laurel, as well as at the '89 International Meet in Gaithersburg, MD. He was a pleasant fellow who enjoyed his Lincolns.

Here's a photo Gregg sent via e-mail, of Harvey with one of his little Lincoln limos, the '65 standard wheelbase one.
Attachments
Harvey Scofield.JPG
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
2006 Lincoln Town Car

59lincolnrag

Post by 59lincolnrag » Sat 26. Jun 2010, 05:46

Harvey Schofield, a collector of prized rare Lehmann-Peterson Continental Limousines, was no stranger to entering and even running the most prestigious national car meets. “I was a National Officer for 10 years,” he said, “and was a Custom Class Advisor for one-of-a-kind Lincolns.” He even earned Best of Show in a 2004 national meet.

Harvey’s collection proved quite rare: Of the 12 million cars produced by Ford Motor Company from 1964-69, only 100,000 were Lincolns and only 500 were Lincolns produced under a contract with Lehmann-Peterson. Of the 150 surviving Lehmann-Petersons, only six are shorter than the standard 34’ stretch limo. Harvey Schofield owned three of those six, a feat he called “a modern miracle because it’s so statistically improbable that anyone of modest means could acquire that many of the remaining cars.”

Last June, Harvey entered one of his prize-winning vehicles in a local car show in Cherry Hill to benefit Samaritan Hospice Veterans’ Hospice Services. Though he had been diagnosed with cancer in 2007, Harvey was still feeling well enough to carry on with his normal activities.

“I stopped by the Samaritan table” said the 74-year old Marlton resident, “and picked up a brochure to learn more about Samaritan just in case I ever needed them.” By late December ’09, his doctor advised him that the time had come to seek the help and comfort a hospice could provide rather than continuing curative treatments that were proving ineffective. Thinking back to his car show brochure, Harvey chose Samaritan.

Gratified with the “immediate response by Samaritan’s clinical team and the quality of its people,” the retired engineer used his time on Samaritan’s service to organize his affairs and stay as active as he could for as long as he could. Ever the engineer, Harvey conceived a formula to describe his last months of life under Samaritan’s care: HS + SH = HHHH. When asked to translate the formula he replied, “Harvey Schofield plus Samaritan Hospice equals Harvey’s Happy Highway to Heaven.”

During his final weeks, Harvey attended one final car show — a showing of his prize cars in his driveway to John and Deborah Giacoboni, organizers of the Veterans Car and Bike Show that Harvey had attended nearly one year earlier. “He’s loving this,” said his daughter Miriam. “It’s like his last hurrah!”

Harvey Schofield died peacefully on April 30 in the Samaritan Inpatient Hospice Center in Mount Holly. In the days prior to his death, he learned of a special honor. “This year’s 6’6” Best in Show Trophy in the Original Car and Truck category will be dedicated to Harvey Schofield,” said organizer John Giacoboni. Somewhere on Heaven’s Highway, Harvey’s driving a Lehmann-Peterson Lincoln and smiling.

The third annual Veterans Car and Bike Show benefiting Samaritan’s Veterans’ Hospice Services will take place at Cherry Hill High School West, 2101 Chapel Avenue West on Saturday, June 26 (Rain date June 27) from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information or to become a sponsor, call John Giacoboni at (609) 780-6640.

Samaritan Hospice is the regional leader for hospice and palliative (comfort) care, grief support and counseling, end-of-life education, research and advocacy.

Samaritan is a not-for-profit, non-sectarian organization serving people in Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Gloucester and Mercer counties who are coping with serious illness or grief.

For more information, visit www.samaritanhospice.org.
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
2006 Lincoln Town Car

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”