Free 430 engine from a 63 Lincoln

Rick Crunelle
Airman basic

Free 430 engine from a 63 Lincoln

Post by Rick Crunelle » Fri 8. Feb 2013, 10:16

I'm pulling the 430 out of my 63 Lincoln Continental this weekend and replacing it with another. If you want my old 430, you can have it for FREE. You just have to come pick it up from my house in Valencia, CA.

This is just the long block... so all you get is the block and internals (crank, pistons, cam, etc), and the heads. There are no intake or exhaust manifolds. There are no rocker shafts. There are no accessories. All of that is going on my new engine.

The story and condition of the engine... I pulled it from a running 63 sedan with 75,000 miles on it. It ran good, smoked very little, and compression was around 175-180 at all the cylinders except one that was 160-165. I dropped it into my 63 vert and put another 5000 miles (or so) on it, and it wiped a cam lobe. In hoping for a quick fix (2 kids so I'm low on the $$$), I picked up a replacement cam and installed it, but the oil pressure was way down, so I decided to yank the engine and replace it. My guess was that since I didn't replace the cam bearings, the journal on the cam was too small causing low oil pressure. Plus, since the cam lobe was wiped, I figured that all of those metal shavings have probably done a number on the rest of the bearings. So if you want a rebuildable core, or just a really nice door stop, let me know. I don't have a pick-up truck for delivery, so you have to come get it.

Regards
Rick

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Free 430 engine from a 63 Lincoln

Post by Theo » Fri 8. Feb 2013, 15:22

Cam bearings are rarely worn. They almost last forever.
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Rick Crunelle
Airman basic

Post by Rick Crunelle » Fri 8. Feb 2013, 18:45

I know, but the cam was a replacement used cam, and I think it may have been "cleaned up" a little. I didn't mic the tolerances, and it may have needed oversized cam bearings...
It didn't matter because I found a used engine that was in really good shape to replace it. Rather than deal with potential problems from the wiped cam, I simply found a replacement. I just want to get rid of the old engine, and thought someone might want it...

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 9. Feb 2013, 00:39

I think it's a good idea to add it in this forum. Might take a while until s.o. calls up. With those engines and parts being hard to find s.o. might appreciate it. Thanks for posting it

Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “Free MEL Related Give Aways”