tri-power

Discuss everything about the Tripower induction.
buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman
Music instruments you're playing: The Kazoo

Re: tri-power

Post by buddy67lincoln » Mon 9. Aug 2010, 08:45

Very nice! I might mock up the hoodless look soon on one of cars when I get a chance. I have to move some A/C hoses to make the passenger side Moon valve cover fit. Good luck!
John Lyman
1964 Continental Convertible (actually working on this one!)
1967 Continental Coupe (bucket of rust)
1966 Continental Coupe (mild custom some day???)
1967 Continental 4 door (30,000 miles, part car)
1967 Continental 4 door (scrapped)

BenderJ
Airman basic

Post by BenderJ » Tue 17. Aug 2010, 05:17

buddy67lincoln wrote:Between $400-500 would be a great deal. Some that even need repairs are going for that. If someone ends up with it...show us some photos.

Again, thanks for the tip! I gave him a call and picked it up for his asking price. :D I know I could have haggled a bit (if I was local, I would have), but since he had to ship to MI, I was comfortable with the deal.

While I was waiting for the intake to arrive, I also found a Super Marauder air cleaner assembly from a local rare parts delear in my area! I thought it was a little strange that it was completely painted. After stripping the paint and soda-blasting, I now know why it was painted - Unfortunately there's some heavily pitted areas. I'll do my best to take care of those areas...

I've got a lot of work to do this winter. :?

Pics will be posted in a day or two...

BenderJ
Airman basic

Post by BenderJ » Sat 4. Sep 2010, 13:28

Did I say a day or two? Should have been a week or two... :oops:

The intake looks pretty clean, although I still may media blast it again. There is some pitting on the water inlet for thermostat bypass, and the vacuum port for secondaries was plugged solid. I did manage to get the port cleaned out, but it took some time...
P9040002.JPG
P9040004.JPG
P9040006.JPG
P9040008.JPG
P9040009.JPG
P9040011.JPG

64Lincoln
Airman basic

Post by 64Lincoln » Wed 22. Sep 2010, 17:18

I finally got the SM in my possession. Linkage is built and it is for the most part complete. Photos to follow. I have a question for all the MEL experts out there. I have sold the 64, 430, Lincoln. I was lucky enough not to include the SM in the sale. I have decided to build an open wheel project around the car. (32 roadster/vicky/sedan). Here's my question, I can get a 62 430 engine for free, just need to trade some Lincoln parts, or I can get a 58 Lincoln 430 for $500. Is there a difference? Casting numbers? Would anyone really know the difference. Opinions wanted. Jay.

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by buddy67lincoln » Thu 23. Sep 2010, 05:30

I am no expert but Kultulz might be able to weigh in and correct me if I am wrong. The 58 was of course more powerful than the 62. I believe 58 was the most powerful MELs ever produced depending on what 430 you have. The 62 of course will not put out that power. The heads should be fine with the intake on your 62. I bought 60 heads for my intake and the ports match. I do not think it will matter which motor you use, I'd just choose which one might be the better core for resto.

You might be able to contact Brian Estrada (should be able to find his info on here or the lincoln forum) and ask if he has any roller cams for sale. I bought one a few years ago but he was not at the time willing to sell anymore after the one I bought but who knows now. He is a huge MEL fan and makes parts for these motors. At one point he was going to work on a gear drive to replace the timing chain! He never got around to it though but its been a while.

Hope your Lincoln went to a great home; that thing was beautiful! Good luck on this project
John Lyman

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Thu 23. Sep 2010, 11:14

64Lincoln wrote:
I have a question for all the MEL experts out there. I have sold the 64, 430, Lincoln. I was lucky enough not to include the SM in the sale. I have decided to build an open wheel project around the car. (32 roadster/vicky/sedan). Here's my question, I can get a 62 430 engine for free, just need to trade some Lincoln parts, or I can get a 58 Lincoln 430 for $500. Is there a difference? Casting numbers? Would anyone really know the difference. Opinions wanted. Jay.
You should have kept the 64 for performance (redesigned 4V with modified heads and new piston dome shape.)

The 58 does not have the usual side skirt pads for the engine mounts. That came in 1959. The heads will flow better than the 2V 1962's. Be sure you check port match between the 3 X 2 intake and 62 heads.

Also the front cam drive and bearing sizes changed in 1961 along with the new bell mounting pattern. The 58/60 bell pattern was the same as the FE.

64Lincoln
Airman basic

Post by 64Lincoln » Fri 24. Sep 2010, 05:11

That's why this forum is invaluable. Kultulz: I think I can still get a 64 engine, I was under the impression a 62 was the one to get. So what i gather first try to get the 64. Then the 58 and lastly 62. But all three will work I just have to check and see the ports match on the 64 and 62. I have plans of building a killer engine with a lot of detail. I will needs everyone help and advise, I have never focus on an engine before, just have them rebuilt to specs. Buddy once i chose the core I will contact Brian. I really want to make this engine a focal point in a true old style 32 hot rod.

Jay

buddy67lincoln
Senior Airman
Senior Airman

Post by buddy67lincoln » Fri 24. Sep 2010, 05:18

64Lincoln wrote:That's why this forum is invaluable. Kultulz: I think I can still get a 64 engine, I was under the impression a 62 was the one to get. So what i gather first try to get the 64. Then the 58 and lastly 62. But all three will work I just have to check and see the ports match on the 64 and 62. I have plans of building a killer engine with a lot of detail. I will needs everyone help and advise, I have never focus on an engine before, just have them rebuilt to specs. Buddy once i chose the core I will contact Brian. I really want to make this engine a focal point in a true old style 32 hot rod.

Jay

If Brian is interested in making gear drive for the MEL, count me in so he at least has 2 names. That will give your engine a nice little 'whistle' Even his exhaust manifold replacements are pretty neat looking but they are sweeping up for the Lincoln engine bay so you will not need them. Someone also was planning on making a valley cover but it still in the works I guess. I think they has shrinkage problems with the test one...not sure where they are on that. If you have an open engine bay like it seems you will...i'd tackle that too! Good luck
John Lyman

BenderJ
Airman basic

Post by BenderJ » Fri 24. Sep 2010, 05:19

Sounds like a great project - Please post updates!

And Kultulz, you're a wealth of information!! :mrgreen:

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Fri 24. Sep 2010, 07:19

BenderJ wrote:And Kultulz, you're a wealth of information!! :mrgreen:
ditto!!
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “The MEL Engine Tripower Heaven”